RE: [Simple] Fwd: Evaluation: draft-ietf-simple-winfo-package - A Session Initiation Protocol (SIP)Event Template-Package for Watcher Information to Proposed Standard

hisham.khartabil@nokia.com Fri, 17 January 2003 16:51 UTC

From: hisham.khartabil@nokia.com
Subject: RE: [Simple] Fwd: Evaluation: draft-ietf-simple-winfo-package - A Session Initiation Protocol (SIP)Event Template-Package for Watcher Information to Proposed Standard
To: jdrosen@dynamicsoft.com, paf@cisco.com
Cc: simple@ietf.org, Harald@Alvestrand.no, mankin@psg.com
Sender: simple-admin@ietf.org
Date: Fri, 17 Jan 2003 18:47:29 +0200

SIP allows any scheme to be carried in the From header. It is up to the entities in the network to understand, interpret and forward that request.

eg:
SUBSCRIBE xmpp:hisham@nokia.com

The sip entity at the edge of the sip network (the request reached there using pre-configured route set, for instance), or any entity on the way needs to know how to parse the xmpp uri and do an SRV lookup on the domain nokia.com. This look up could be _sip.nokia.com, just to find the next hop. If no entity on the network understands the scheme, then an error response is returned.

To increase interoperability success, I would think that other protocols derived from IMPP must also support scheme agnostic URIs. In this way, the gateway will just copy the URI in the from-header of a sip SUBSCRIBE into the corresponding from-header of the x-protocol SUBSCRIBE. When a reply comes from x-protocol carrying sip scheme, this time in the corresponding To-header of x-protocol, then an entity in the x-protocol domain must perform the same logic as described above in case of the sip network.

Regards,
Hisham