Re: [Simple] Review of draft-garcia-simple-presence-dictionary-04.txt

Miguel Garcia <Miguel.Garcia@nsn.com> Mon, 30 April 2007 10:34 UTC

Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2007 13:34:42 +0300
From: Miguel Garcia <Miguel.Garcia@nsn.com>
To: "Kiss Krisztian (Nokia-SIR/PaloAlto)" <krisztian.kiss@nokia.com>
Subject: Re: [Simple] Review of draft-garcia-simple-presence-dictionary-04.txt
Cc: Avshalom Houri <AVSHALOM@il.ibm.com>, simple@ietf.org

Hi Krisztian:

Thanks for your review. I have implemented most of your suggestions in
my working draft. As for your question:

 > Section 1:
 > "Sigcomp endpoints will initially announce the availability of one or
 > both dictionaries until the other end acknowledges that it has received
 > the announcement."
 > Do sigcomp endpoints really announce the availability of RFC3485
 > dictionary? According to RFC 3485: "The static dictionary is unique and
 > MUST be available in all SigComp implementations for SIP/SDP"

I believe the text is correct, because I got it from the ROCH mailing
list. Some ROHC people reviewed the draft and wanted to clarify the
fuzzy wording we previously had inthere. So, according to the Sigcomp
experts the endpoint initially needs to announce the presence dictionary
but it can stop when the other endpoint acknowledges that is has
received the announcement. The SigComp END-MESSAGE "returned
parameters" are used to announce the availability of the presence
dictionary and "requested feedback item" is used to ask for
acknowledgement from remote endpoint. So, after the requested
feedback item has been returned to the endpoint there is no need
to continue to announce the presence dictionary or other SigComp
parameters using the returned parameters as "the endpoint is
already satisfied all necessary information has reached the
endpoint receiving the message" (quote from 3320).

With respect the text that you quote from RFC 3485, I don't think it is
related to the issue you mentioned. Basically, the text was trying to
say that if you implement SigComp for SIP, you have to implement the
SIP/SDP dictionary as well. It says nothing about the initialization phase.

Now, with respect your proposed changes:

 > - timestamp could be upgraded to priority 1,

We used the rule that any string that gets priority 1 means that you
will always find that string in any presence document, or the likelyhood
to find the string is very high. That's the reason why there is only a
few strings with priority 1.  I thought that "timestamp" is an optional
element in PIDF and the data model, so there will be implementations
that will not use it at all. I believe this is enough to write any other
priority than 1. So, priority 2 (the current one) seems to be
appropriate: it is very likely to find this string in a presence document.

 > - "close" should be "closed"

Oops, yes, it should be closed. Fixed.

 > - "deviceId"should be "deviceID"

Yes. Fixed.

 > - "country" seems to be missing from PIDF-LO [16]

Yes. Added to the strings

 > - "version=" is also included in winfo [17] (reference is missing)

As you can see, there are two similar entries for version. One is
"version" and the other is "version=" (notice the '='). The former,
which is listed at the end of the string collection, is used by
reference [21] as an element. The latter, listed at the beginning of the
string collection, is used by many documents (including winfo) as an
attribute. So I should add reference [17] to this last one, but as I
indicated, there are so many documents that use "version=" that I just
don't list any document. Therefore, I see no action with this respect.

BR,

         Miguel

Please note my new e-mail address: miguel.garcia at nsn.com
Miguel A. Garcia           tel:+358-50-4804586
Nokia Siemens Networks     Helsinki, Finland