RE: [Simple] RE: [Sipping] RE: text/T140 and audio/t140 was:[avt]Comments/questions on draft-ietf-avt-rfc2793bis-04

"Arnoud van Wijk" <a.vwijk@viataal.nl> Thu, 01 July 2004 15:22 UTC

From: Arnoud van Wijk <a.vwijk@viataal.nl>
To: 'Gunnar Hellstrom' <gunnar.hellstrom@omnitor.se>, 'Cullen Jennings' <fluffy@cisco.com>
Subject: RE: [Simple] RE: [Sipping] RE: text/T140 and audio/t140 was:[avt]Comments/questions on draft-ietf-avt-rfc2793bis-04
Date: Fri, 25 Jun 2004 12:06:34 +0200
Cc: "'Paul E. Jones'" <paulej@packetizer.com>, 'Toip list' <toip@snowshore.com>, simple@ietf.org
Sender: simple-bounces@ietf.org

Reading Gunnar here..
I do have a very BIG worry here.
"Over the years, T.140 for real time interactive text conversation has been
specified to go
over:
- V.18 modem
- T.134 in  T.120 data conferencing
- H.224 for H.320 ISDN mulitmedia
- AL1   for H.324 multimedia opened through H.245
- RFC2793 for H.323 multimedia
- TCP     for H.323 multimedia
- RFC2793 for H.248 gateways
- RFC2793 for SIP
- RFC2793bis audio/t140c for V.152 gateways"

Yes..but here we have a big risk that those gateways and such are unable to
communicate with each other, since the transport is again...different.

So..WHY should we add yet another real-time text transport method?

And perhaps it is a good idea to start some certification organization that
certifies that gateway A can interwork with gateway B for T140.
But would manufacturers care???

I propose text/t140 to work with SIMPLE IM. And not to add yet another form
of text transport using MSRP.

I am 100% pro for working close with SIMPLE to use text/t140, RFC2793.

Best of Both worlds.......

Greetz

Arnoud