Re: [Simple] Adding a telephone number to a basic PIDF document

Paul Kyzivat <pkyzivat@cisco.com> Fri, 07 October 2005 13:02 UTC

Date: Fri, 07 Oct 2005 09:01:38 -0400
From: Paul Kyzivat <pkyzivat@cisco.com>
To: Tim Rang <timrang@microsoft.com>
Subject: Re: [Simple] Adding a telephone number to a basic PIDF document
Cc: Simple WG <simple@ietf.org>
Sender: simple-bounces@ietf.org

Tim Rang wrote:
> Thanks Paul.  Would it be fair to say that devices are generally only used when multiple services need to be represented together?

Well, I'm still trying to understand all the implications of the
<device> element, but here is my opinion. It was split off so that info
that is inherently and necessarily common to all services sharing a
device is represented once. But having done that, if you have such
information, then you need the <device> element to represent it even if
there is only one service using the device.

But, if you have no properties for the device, then you don't need the
<device> element, even if there are multiple services sharing the device
- it is enough to name the device(s) each service uses.

> Back to your question regarding the missing contact element, it looks like I have something else I need to clear up.  The schema in RFC 3863 makes contact an optional element for tuple.  I figured that if the contact is omitted, then it should be simply derived from either the subscription request URI, or the entity attribute.  If that is not the case, and the contact element really is optional, then what does it mean to have a tuple with no contact?

Well, my understanding is that the <contact> element is the thing that
tells you how to establish communication with the service. IMO nothing
else serves that purpose. It is optional for the case when the the
service is not reachable and/or you don't want to tell the watcher how
to reach it. So I wouldn't be surprised to see it missing when the
status is closed, but I do find it a little bit surprising when the
status is open.

	Paul