Re: [Simple] Adding a telephone number to a basic PIDF document

Paul Kyzivat <pkyzivat@cisco.com> Thu, 06 October 2005 23:26 UTC

Date: Thu, 06 Oct 2005 19:26:10 -0400
From: Paul Kyzivat <pkyzivat@cisco.com>
To: Tim Rang <timrang@microsoft.com>
Subject: Re: [Simple] Adding a telephone number to a basic PIDF document
Cc: Simple WG <simple@ietf.org>
Sender: simple-bounces@ietf.org

Tim,

I wouldn't do it the way you propose.

I would simply add an extra <tuple> with a <contact> containing the
telephone number as a tel: uri. You can also identify it as a different
device if you wish. I believe you may do that as a deviceID in the tuple
*without* also including <device>.

But I am confused about your intent. It looks like you intend to have
one tuple even without the phone number. (Since you are from MS I am
pretty sure you must plan to have a PC in here.) But then I am confused
because your tuple is open but has no contact - so it isn't *very* open.

If my assumption is right, I would expect something like:

<presence xmlns="urn:ietf:params:xml:ns:pidf"
xmlns:ep="urn:ietf:params:xml:ns:pidf:status:rpid-status"
xmlns:et="urn:ietf:params:xml:ns:pidf:rpid-tuple"

xmlns:ci="urn:ietf:params:xml:ns:pidf:cipid"
xmlns:dm="urn:ietf:params:xml:ns:pidf:data-model" entity="sip:foo@bar.com">
   <tuple id="0">
     <status>
       <basic>closed</basic>
       <ep:activities>
         <ep:activity>away</ep:activity>
       </ep:activities>
     </status>
     <dm:deviceID>your-pc</dm:deviceID>
   </tuple>
   <tuple id="1">
     <status>
       <basic>open</basic>
       <ep:activities>
         <ep:activity>away</ep:activity>
       </ep:activities>
     </status>
     <contact>tel:+4255551234</contact>
     <dm:deviceID>tel:+4255551234</dm:deviceID>
   </tuple>
</presence>

You could of course put in <device> as well if you want, but I don't see
any need here.

	Paul