Re: [Simple] Fwd: Response to an LS from ETSI

Arnoud van Wijk <arnoud.vanwijk@realtimetext.org> Thu, 11 November 2010 10:26 UTC

Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2010 11:27:02 +0100
From: Arnoud van Wijk <arnoud.vanwijk@realtimetext.org>
To: simple@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [Simple] Fwd: Response to an LS from ETSI

Hi all,
Discussions about standards, and why and how to implement and the
necessity is always very good.
But I am seeing again in Bruno's statements incorrect information.
Why? let me comment here:
> To recap: the technology referred to in the liaison is deployed in all
> Nordic countries (except Iceland), in Germany and some others and is used to
> provide societal accessibility services, as required in the respective
> countries, to hearing impaired people and those who telecommunicate with
> them, over mobile and IP-based main stream infrastructures and devices.
Yes, but this is only as a relay system specific targeted to a small and
limited user group. These systems are nothing more then a a big island.
Where the traffic flow is low and can be predicted very well. The text
system implemented there may not cause serious problems in that network.
That does not mean that using the SIP signaling pathway for real-time
text is something to aim for on global IP networks!

I want to make this clear. Real-Time Text (RTT) is NOT for just a small
group of hearing and speech impaired users. It will be a mainstream and
usable for all people.
And that means that RTT must use the same SIP signaling and media
transport using all what VoIP does.

That is why RFC4103 has been created. The unique thing about RFC4103 is
that is is a standard that is created by listening and involving the
Telecom experts, IETF and ITU and as well the hearing and speech
impaired users to ensure that RFC4103 does fill the communication needs
and ability for them.
We hearing impaired users want text that is equal as voice is. And that
is possible now without clogging the signaling path, RFC4103 is fully
supported by SIP and can be treated with any security measures possible
for voice.

> For the future, in the IMS era (foreseen to become enough penetrated and
> mature in some years' time in 3G/4G environments), there are
> state-of-the-art technologies envisaged and well specified (in 3GPP, or
> through the GSM Association Rich Communication Suite (RCS)), expected to
> become the main stream. However, no solutions requiring this kind of
> technology enablers are yet deployed today and will probably not be tomorrow
> either; it will most probably take years until they do.
> Deaf people cannot wait years, until this environment becomes a market
> reality, as they'd love to communicate today - across the reliably available
> mainstream infrastructures and devices of today!
> This has been sorted out in the Nordic countries; it's a gap-filler but it
> works now, across all networks (with a Nordic gateway under development).
> However, to allow third parties to develop their products and avoid
> segmentation and proprietary, non-interoperable solutions, there is a need
> for an open specification standard.
Which is possible and already done with RFC4103!! RTP based real-time
text as described in RFC4103 is deployed and used widely. I am using RTT
now. Even combined with video and audio. NENA and Reach 112 are
implementing RTT in the PSAPs as part of Total Conversation (RTT, audio
and video).
RFC4103 works very well through GSM. I am using that today. RFC4103 is
part of IMS. Deployed now.
RFC4103 is able to traverse NATs just as well as VoIP, after all it uses
EXACTLY the same SIP NAT traversal technologies. And will work with
proprietary SIP tunneling solutions as well.

The reason that the Nordic countries use some gap filler is because
RFC4103 is simply ignored as the open standard RTT.
RFC4103 is fully interoperable even with PSTN Text telephones using V.18
transcoding gateways.

> The proposed header(s) do not undermine SIP security in any sense ­on the
> contrary! This request is to guarantee the full delivery of all characters
> in the text strings, not achievable with RFC4103 (due to character loss), as
> well as the integrity of the communicating parties (see below).

RFC4103 has an excellent mechanism with redundancy that ensures no
character loss. If character loss does occur, it is because the network
conditions are so deteriorated, that even SIP will not be able to
function. I have encountered enough situations where audio and video
were very bad (video for me since I cannot say about audio quality) and
the RTT was happily crunching along without dropped characters.
In the early phases of T.140 over RTP when it did not use redundancy
first (the time of RFC2793) it was true that it had character loss. But
that is solved and not a problem in RFC4103.

New standards, and improving standards should only be added when there
are no proper solutions available. I am seeing arguments by Bruno here
against RFC4103 while they are in fact all incorrect or out of date
(RFC2793). I actually do not see why even Real Time Text using SIP
MESSAGE has any benefit.
What can Real-Time Text using SIP MESSAGE do better then RFC4103?

For more information on RFC4103, and the systems where it is
implemented. Please have a look at http://www.realtimetext.org/
RTT in standards: http://www.realtimetext.org/index.php?pagina=28
and other references: http://www.realtimetext.org/index.php?pagina=54

Thanks for reading through this and lets  continue doing real work!

Arnoud van Wijk