Re: [sip-clf] FW: New Version Notification for draft-niccolini-sipclf-ipfix-02

"Vijay K. Gurbani" <vkg@bell-labs.com> Mon, 19 April 2010 22:21 UTC

Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2010 17:22:29 -0500
From: "Vijay K. Gurbani" <vkg@bell-labs.com>
To: Saverio Niccolini <Saverio.Niccolini@nw.neclab.eu>
Subject: Re: [sip-clf] FW: New Version Notification for draft-niccolini-sipclf-ipfix-02

On 04/19/2010 09:28 AM, Saverio Niccolini wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> we just submitted a new version of the draft (now available at
> http://www.ietf.org/id/draft-niccolini-sipclf-ipfix-02.txt).
>
> This version improves the example where we used a real private
> enterprise (PEN) number 35566 (which is controlled by one of
> the authors of the draft).
>
> We also added a list of open points that we think should be
> addressed in future version of the draft.
>
> Before moving into addressing those, we would appreciate feedback
> to the example that was explicitly requested by the WG and the AD.

Saverio: Thanks for getting this out.  I am not sure I understand
the mechanics of ipfix completely, but the draft helps me
conceptualize the approach a bit more.

In any case, I had one comment on Section 5.  The text presented
in S5 is more of a data model than an information model.  If I
read rfc3444 correctly, a "data model" determines the structure
of data elements (including legal values for the contents of these)
and the relationship among the data elements.  An "information
model", on the other hand, is the modeling of entities in a
system and their relationship (these are, fortunately, the
most generally accepted definitions for the terms in the
industry and academia.)

The problem-statement draft already contains a data model [1]
that I have been using for a long time [2].  In the next revision
of the problem-statement draft I am working on now, I will
present a more formal definition of the data model, including
the relationship between the data elements (some of which is
captured in the precursor draft [2].)  I think it may be best
to leave the data model in one place --- the problem-statement
draft --- and have the individual solution drafts show the
format of the sipclf record.

I would love your feedback on the data model and its contents
once I get the updated problem-statement draft out later this
week.

[1] http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-sipclf-problem-statement-01
[2] http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-gurbani-sipping-clf-01

Thanks,

- vijay
--
Vijay K. Gurbani, Bell Laboratories, Alcatel-Lucent
1960 Lucent Lane, Rm. 9C-533, Naperville, Illinois 60566 (USA)