Re: [Sip] Alert-Info Idea (was Re: Commenton draft-willis-sip-an sweralert-01)

Paul Kyzivat <pkyzivat@cisco.com> Thu, 27 October 2005 16:29 UTC

Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2005 12:29:11 -0400
From: Paul Kyzivat <pkyzivat@cisco.com>
To: "Vaidya, Maulik" <maulik.vaidya@siemens.com>
Subject: Re: [Sip] Alert-Info Idea (was Re: Commenton draft-willis-sip-an sweralert-01)
Cc: sip@ietf.org
Sender: sip-bounces@ietf.org

Vaidya, Maulik wrote:
> Gents, pardon my ignorance if I say something really stupid
>
> Shouldn't 'semantic URNs' in some manner, shape or form include the format
> of alert (i.e. wav, mp3 etc), and the preferred medium of download (i.e.
> HTTP, WAP etc)? (because not all UACs will have the capability to support
> all forms of alert tones and download mechanisms.

In my mind, a *semantic* URN representing an alert would be something like:
- normal alert
- emergency alert
- distintive alert N

Then the receiving device would have complete freedom to render whatever
it thinks is suitable to achieve that semantic. Most likely devices
would be provisionable with a suitable value.

There is no implication that the alert would be audio. It might be
rendered using a "ringer" on a phone with traditional form factor, by
playing a tune on a device with a speaker, by a flashing light on a
device for a deaf user, and by a popup window on the screen of a PC
running a softphone with audio disabled. Or it could be a combination of
things.

What you are describing isn't a URN at all, it is a URL that can be used
to locate some representation to be rendered. That is ok too, but it
isn't the same thing.

	Paul