Re: [Sip] RE: Stateless Notification and Non-Subscribe subscriptions

Dean Willis <dean.willis@softarmor.com> Thu, 07 July 2005 11:21 UTC

Date: Thu, 07 Jul 2005 06:21:15 -0500
From: Dean Willis <dean.willis@softarmor.com>
To: Dale Worley <dworley@pingtel.com>
Cc: sip@ietf.org
Sender: sip-bounces@ietf.org

Dale Worley wrote:

>But how to maintain the state that user foo@bar wants notification of X?  In
>practice this is often done by provisioning (foo goes to a web page to
>update his list of notifications), because the overhead cost of having an
>obsolete notification request in the database is small.  But we might want
>to use some variant of SUBSCRIBE to maintain notifications.

I'd like to counter-propose a "subscription aggregator" -- that is,
allow a single SUBSCRIBE request to establish a dialog upon which
notifications for multiple event
sources might occur.

One might then define a metapackage that includes, for example,
subscription to reg-event, mwi, config, presence resource-list, and all
the other things that a UA might subscribe to on startup.

Jonathan has proposed making REGISTER create a dialog for the servicing
of subscriptions. I think an aggregator would be much cleaner.

Now, as o how it might work -- the set of subscriptions to be aggregated
should be defined dynamically. One idea would be to use the body of the
SUBSCRIBE request to contain a URI list, with each such URI representing
a resource to be SUBSCRIBEd to. This approach is consistent with the URI
list work:
see
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-sipping-uri-list-subscribe-03.txt

Another approach would be to use a server-contained list that would be
modified using XCAP. This is closer to the orignal resource-list work.

--
Dean