Re: [Sip] RE: Stateless Notification and Non-Subscribe subscriptions

Paul Kyzivat <pkyzivat@cisco.com> Fri, 08 July 2005 18:51 UTC

Date: Fri, 08 Jul 2005 14:51:21 -0400
From: Paul Kyzivat <pkyzivat@cisco.com>
To: Dean Willis <dean.willis@softarmor.com>
Cc: sip@ietf.org
Sender: sip-bounces@ietf.org

Dean Willis wrote:
> Dale Worley wrote:
>
>> But how to maintain the state that user foo@bar wants notification of
>> X?  In
>> practice this is often done by provisioning (foo goes to a web page to
>> update his list of notifications), because the overhead cost of having an
>> obsolete notification request in the database is small.  But we might
>> want
>> to use some variant of SUBSCRIBE to maintain notifications.
>>

> I'd like to counter-propose a "subscription aggregator" -- that is,
> allow a single SUBSCRIBE request to establish a dialog upon which
> notifications for multiple event
> sources might occur.

Whether this is useful depends on your goals. THis is a little like an
RLS on steroids. Like an RLS, it does not in general reduce the total
amount of work done in the system as a whole - instead it moves the
place where some of the work is done and also somewhat increases the
total amount of work done.

It reduces the amount of work that must be done by the watchers. It does
nothing to the amount of work that must be done by the notifiers. And it
increases the amount of work that must be done by the "subscription
aggregator". (From nothing to somewhat more than the total of what would
otherwise have been done by the watchers.)

But I think one of the goals here is to reduce the load on the servers.

> One might then define a metapackage that includes, for example,
> subscription to reg-event, mwi, config, presence resource-list, and all
> the other things that a UA might subscribe to on startup.

I thing this would require defining a new event type
('multiple-events'?), together with the content type used by it. The
content type would have to be able to embed the notification content for
any of the aggregated event types.  Not rocket science - definitely
could be done.

> Jonathan has proposed making REGISTER create a dialog for the servicing
> of subscriptions. I think an aggregator would be much cleaner.

I agree it is "cleaner" in the sense that it doesn't change the
semantics of anything currently existing. But we will have to agree on
what our goals are before we can decide what is "better".

	Paul