RE: [Sip] INFO

"Brian Stucker" <bstucker@nortel.com> Thu, 18 October 2007 23:34 UTC

Subject: RE: [Sip] INFO
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2007 18:34:02 -0500
From: Brian Stucker <bstucker@nortel.com>
To: Adam Roach <adam@nostrum.com>
Cc: sip <sip@ietf.org>

Duh. I knew I was forgetting something. I wouldn't say 2976 is a bastion
example of specificity so I figured it must be coming from somewhere
else.

However, this usecase seems to also be true of NOTIFY usage within an
INVITE dialog in the specific case of a 410 response if I read tables
1/2 correctly from the dialogusage draft.

Why are we talking about 410 anyway? I don't think I've ever seen one
generated in the wild.

It still seems to be boiling down to whether or not you want to force
folks to explicitly SUBSCRIBE to usages within the INVITE dialog. If you
use a SUBSCRIBE you can support directionality and that's about it. I
don't think you get a cleaner idea of whether or not the dialog should
exist or not than you have over INFO+event, or an implicit subscription.

Even for DTMF digits, if you setup the call, and then made your
subscription to KPML or whatever, within the dialog, and got back a 489
it seems somewhat uncertain to me what the correct behavior at the UA
should be.

If the UA was accessing a service that required SIP signaling level
awareness of DTMF digits, it may be perfectly reasonable to kill the
call. If it instead assumes 2833 support because 2833 was accepted in
the SDP it may continue on with the call but be broken because the thing
that needs the digits isn't on the media path, etc. Or if it tried for
KPML and 2833 and killed the call because KPML was rejected, the call
may have worked fine because the KPML was being rejected in favor of
2833 by a gateway, etc.

I just don't see how you can always figure out that the application is
broken (especially with something like DTMF which has a couple ways of
doing it) and the dialog needs to end from one reporting failure. I can
definitely envision cases where you could tell, but I can also come up
with usecases (like DTMF) where it's not so clear.

Regards,
Brian