Re: [Sip] INFO

Adam Roach <adam@nostrum.com> Thu, 18 October 2007 23:02 UTC

Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2007 18:02:01 -0500
From: Adam Roach <adam@nostrum.com>
To: Brian Stucker <bstucker@nortel.com>
Subject: Re: [Sip] INFO
Cc: sip <sip@ietf.org>

The interaction between errors and dialog termination wasn't crystal
clear in 3261; and multiple usages within a dialog makes it even more
messy. That's why Robert has poured so much effort into
draft-ietf-sipping-dialogusage. It's an incredibly useful document the
puts crystal clarity around exactly these kinds of issues. If we had the
critical corrections process in place when it was progressing, it would
have probably been part of that process. As it is, it forms an important
adjunct to 3261.

I can't completely back out whether Eric meant to talk about two usages
in a single dialog or two different dialogs. In any case, if you get a
dialog goes away, including all of its usages (not just the usage the
INFO was associated with -- although that's kind of a nebulous concept,
since INFO isn't inherently associated with a *usage*, merely with a
*dialog*. This is another place where INFO is underspecified; to be
fair, though, the concept of usages developed after INFO was published).

So, to be clear: if you send an INFO and get any of 404, 410, 416,
482-485, 502, or 604, then the dialog goes away. Period.

If INFO causes a 480 or 481, then the INVITE usage goes away. If the
INVITE was the last usage in the dialog, then the dialog goes away.

/a