[Sip] RE: [Geopriv] Consensus on changes to location-conveyance

Ted Hardie <hardie@qualcomm.com> Wed, 26 July 2006 12:02 UTC

Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2006 13:33:31 -0700
To: "Rosen, Brian" <Brian.Rosen@neustar.biz>, sip@ietf.org
From: Ted Hardie <hardie@qualcomm.com>
Cc: geopriv@ietf.org
Subject: [Sip] RE: [Geopriv] Consensus on changes to location-conveyance

At 2:45 PM -0400 7/25/06, Rosen, Brian wrote:
>Summarizing, you think hop-by-hop security (TLS) is acceptable when the
>location is sent for the purposes of location based routing, but you are
>not in favor of defining "retransmission=no" to permit sending the
>location to the routing database (e.g. LoST).  You want a more explicit
>permission.

Yes.

>I don't think a cid: with a ruleset is acceptable, as it would not
>permit location by reference added by a proxy to specify this.

Fair enough.

>If this is the consensus, I think we would have to add a bit to the PIDF
>to explicitly control this behavior.

I think an extension that says "retransmission for routing=yes" is the cleanest
way to go.

>Why do you think we must specify an HTTP dereference procedure in this
>document?  What is the purpose when the SIP based method is available?
>We had believed we had to have SOME method of dereferencing to make
>location-by-reference meaningful in the document.  If we have one sip
>based method, we meet the requirement.  Having more options, especially
>completely new HTTP based protocols IN THIS DOCUMENT seems unnecessary
>and unwise.  For example, if we define such a protocol, it becomes a
>geopriv "using protocol" and needs an explicit analysis against the
>geopriv criteria.

I don't think we have to do it in this document, but I read your previous
message as a statement of consensus about the HTTP dereference mechanisms
that have been discussed.   I don't agree with that statement, since I think the
HTTP discussions somewhat over-thought the potential problems.  In particular, a
lot of the discussion was around the idea that http://dereference.example.org/foo-pidf-lo
might mean lots of different things, depending on what http meant.  There are
already ways to deal with that; none of them are perfect (see, for example,
the discussion in draft-reschke-webdav-mount-05.txt and its appendix A for a similar
problem in a different context), but they can work, especially if you set a baseline
approach.

				regards,
					Ted Hardie

>Brian