[Sip] RE: [Geopriv] Consensus on changes to location-conveyance

"Rosen, Brian" <Brian.Rosen@neustar.biz> Tue, 25 July 2006 20:42 UTC

Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2006 16:42:35 -0400
From: "Rosen, Brian" <Brian.Rosen@neustar.biz>
To: Ted Hardie <hardie@qualcomm.com>, sip@ietf.org
Cc: geopriv@ietf.org
Subject: [Sip] RE: [Geopriv] Consensus on changes to location-conveyance

Thanks.

To define the "retransmission for routing" bit, we need to rev PIDF-LO.
I don't think doing that in location-conveyance is the right place.
Would you agree?

Is there consensus one way or the other on this?  Generally, I do agree
explicit is better than implicit for any kind of permission.  I'm loath
to generate yet one more RFC, but this one looks simple enough.

With respect to an HTTP protocol for location by reference
dereferencing, I have no problem with having some other document specify
this.  We're going to have a simple mechanism defined in
location-conveyance to allow such an extension; it won't require the SIP
change process.  If that is an acceptable compromise, then we can close
this issue, although I'll certainly be holding off a couple of days to
hear from other folks.

Brian

PIDF
> >to explicitly control this behavior.
>
> I think an extension that says "retransmission for routing=yes" is the
> cleanest
> way to go.
>

> >Why do you think we must specify an HTTP dereference procedure in
this
> >document?  What is the purpose when the SIP based method is
available?
> >We had believed we had to have SOME method of dereferencing to make
> >location-by-reference meaningful in the document.  If we have one sip
> >based method, we meet the requirement.  Having more options,
especially
> >completely new HTTP based protocols IN THIS DOCUMENT seems
unnecessary
> >and unwise.  For example, if we define such a protocol, it becomes a
> >geopriv "using protocol" and needs an explicit analysis against the
> >geopriv criteria.
>
> I don't think we have to do it in this document, but I read your
previous
> message as a statement of consensus about the HTTP dereference
mechanisms
> that have been discussed.   I don't agree with that statement, since I
> think the
> HTTP discussions somewhat over-thought the potential problems.  In
> particular, a
> lot of the discussion was around the idea that
> http://dereference.example.org/foo-pidf-lo
> might mean lots of different things, depending on what http meant.
There
> are
> already ways to deal with that; none of them are perfect (see, for
> example,
> the discussion in draft-reschke-webdav-mount-05.txt and its appendix A
for
> a similar
> problem in a different context), but they can work, especially if you
set
> a baseline
> approach.
>
> 				regards,
> 					Ted Hardie
>

> >Brian

IT
> >> ONLY TO
> >the
> >route
> >> the
> >may be

> >the
> >encrypt
> >> using

> >encrypting
> >> "intended
> >actually
> >network
> >> elements
> >> location

> >communication),
> >path.

> >emergency
> >> case
> >> meaning,

> >really
> >way
> >> of
> >retention

> >routing
> >routing
> >>
> >> To reiterate this, I do not believe that this is sufficient; I
think
> >you
> >> have to
> >> have some way of saying "re-transmission for routing permitted"
before
> >> you meet the geopriv privacy concerns.

> >transport.
> >>
> >> I believe that an HTTP GET of a PIDF-LO object is a reasonable
> >baseline.
> >> Saying that other mechanisms should update this document with their
> >> dereferencing mechanisms if they could be confused with the
baseline
> >> seems to me to be sufficient.  I'm not sure a registry is needed.
In
> >> practice,
> >> I don't think we would hit the interoperability problems often.
These