Re: [Sip] Event Lists: Back-End Credentials

David R Oran <oran@cisco.com> Fri, 29 October 2004 03:02 UTC

From: David R Oran <oran@cisco.com>
Subject: Re: [Sip] Event Lists: Back-End Credentials
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2004 19:52:40 -0400
To: hisham.khartabil@nokia.com
Cc: sip@ietf.org, adam@nostrum.com
Sender: sip-bounces@ietf.org

On Oct 28, 2004, at 6:52 PM, <hisham.khartabil@nokia.com> wrote:

> [...]
I'm not sure what I'm "advocating", since I said in my original post
that I don't feel strongly about the subject. Since I'm not in the
middle of the fray amongst the folks who think we need RLS urgently, I
can comfortably sit back and "advocate" not progressing RLS until we
have at least a resticted subset of the delegation problem solved.

If the only alternatives on the table are whether to progress RLS with
a security scheme that opens the user up to impersonation by a server
he has very limited trust in, and progressing an solution that uses
deprate credentials and hence either has limited utility or high user
complexity (users have to directly subscribe or be limited to
information available to the whole world), I guess I would vote for the
latter.

>>> Note that this is useful not just for backend
>> subscriptions, but also
>>> for any list usage we can think for that will result in backend
>>> requests being sent on behalf of a client.
>>>
>>> A server needing a secret key to use on behave of a user
>> can look in
>>> the XCAP document of that user.
>>>
>> Can I be your RLS server? Please? Pretty please?
>
> Ok, but if you behave :) You would expect a trust relationship between
> the client and the RLS.

Yes, but a very limited one, not one that permits identity theft.

> /Hisham
>

>> Dave.
>>

>>> Regards,
>>> Hisham