Re: [Sip] Open Issue #146: Re-use disabled streams

Gonzalo Camarillo <Gonzalo.Camarillo@lmf.ericsson.se> Fri, 14 September 2001 20:19 UTC

Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2001 23:11:15 +0300
From: Gonzalo Camarillo <Gonzalo.Camarillo@lmf.ericsson.se>
Subject: Re: [Sip] Open Issue #146: Re-use disabled streams
To: Christer Holmberg <christer.holmberg@lmf.ericsson.se>
Cc: Jonathan Rosenberg <jdrosen@dynamicsoft.com>, Kim Liu <kliu@lucent.com>, "'sip@ietf.org'" <sip@ietf.org>
Sender: sip-admin@ietf.org

Hello,

> I THINK that the FID currently doesn't support the identifying of
> streams for the whole sessions. However, I see no reason why it
> shouldn't be possible to update the draft (I guess Gonzalo is the man to
> make that decission)

My first idea related to FID was to use it exactly for this purpose:
"SDP media alignment". However, the optimization I was thinking of at
that point of time was a different one. If a UAC sends an INVITE with
two m lines and the UAS wants to establish a session with 3 m lines the
server needs to accept the session and later re-INVITE. With an m line
identifier it is possible to add new streams in the 200 OK and then get
the final SDP in the ACK.

This would have been a big gain (3 messages instead of 6), but it
requires a 3-way handshake. SIP just provides a 2-way handshake
(regarding SDP exchange). Using a 3-way handshake would make 3pcc
impossible. That's why we abandoned that original idea.

Now, coming back to our current problem, using identifiers just to reuse
m lines is overkill. We just need to allow that the position of an m
lines that has been answered with port zero can be reused. Adding stream
identifiers does not give us any extra gain.

Therefore, let us focus in our real problem. The decision we have to
make is: can a UA reuse a position in the SDP when that media stream has
been rejected?

My personal opinion is: if any implementor has a problem with this,
let's keep the mechanism as it is right now (that is, we dissallow
position reuse). If implementors feel that this change will not break
significally their code, let's go for it.

Regards,

Gonzalo

, or otherwise write a new draft. We may even want

--
Gonzalo Camarillo                    Phone :   +1 212 939 71 71
Columbia University                  Mobile:  +358 40 702 35 35