Re: [Sip] Open Issue #146: Re-use disabled streams

Gonzalo Camarillo <Gonzalo.Camarillo@lmf.ericsson.se> Mon, 17 September 2001 16:07 UTC

Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2001 18:18:05 +0300
From: Gonzalo Camarillo <Gonzalo.Camarillo@lmf.ericsson.se>
Subject: Re: [Sip] Open Issue #146: Re-use disabled streams
To: Christer Holmberg <christer.holmberg@lmf.ericsson.se>
Cc: Jonathan Rosenberg <jdrosen@dynamicsoft.com>, Kim Liu <kliu@lucent.com>, "'sip@ietf.org'" <sip@ietf.org>
Sender: sip-admin@ietf.org

Hello Christer,

Christer Holmberg wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Gonzalo Camarillo wrote:
> >
> > Hello,
> >
> > > I THINK that the FID currently doesn't support the identifying of
> > > streams for the whole sessions. However, I see no reason why it
> > > shouldn't be possible to update the draft (I guess Gonzalo is the man to
> > > make that decission)
> >
> > My first idea related to FID was to use it exactly for this purpose:
> > "SDP media alignment". However, the optimization I was thinking of at
> > that point of time was a different one. If a UAC sends an INVITE with
> > two m lines and the UAS wants to establish a session with 3 m lines the
> > server needs to accept the session and later re-INVITE. With an m line
> > identifier it is possible to add new streams in the 200 OK and then get
> > the final SDP in the ACK.
>
> I guess that sounds ok. However, considering the manyfolks mechanism
> (using 18x and PRACK for the negotiation), in that case we would going
> towards two different methods of doing 3-way handshake...

No, we are not. 18x and PRACK is still an offer/answer model.

> I think the problem is, that so far we have been talking pretty much
> about codecs ("I tell you what codecs I support in the INVITE, and you
> tell me what codecs you support in the 200..." - period. ), and not
> multiple streams.
>
> So, one question is: if A initiates the session, giving one or more
> streams, should B be allowed to add more streams in the session
> establishment? One could say no, and that B must send a re-INVITE after
> the 200/ACK if it wants to add more streams.

This is exactly what I have explained in my previous mail. Since we use
an offer/answer model, the callee needs to re-INVITE in order to add
more streams. This was discussed a lot of IETFs ago in the MMUSIC
session.

> I agree that this was the initial problem, but I think they are related
> to each other. If we DO have a mechanism to identify the streams per
> session, it is then easier to come up with mechanisms/rules how to
> re-use them - AND how to add/remove streams during the call WITHOUT
> having to re-send the whole SDP in the re-INVITE.

Sending the whole SDP in the INVITE is NOT a disadvantage. It is a
desing rule that SIP developers MUST follow. It avoids synchronization
problems and allows easier failure recovery.

And as I said before, it is not necessary to have identifiers in order
to reuse stream positions.

Regards,

Gonzalo