RE: [SIP] RE: Request for information on using T.30/T.37/T.38 wit h SIP/SDP/ RTP

David Yon <yon@dialout.net> Wed, 01 November 2000 22:38 UTC

To: James Rafferty <jraff@brooktrout.com>, Jean-Francois Mule <jfmule@clarent.com>, ietf-fax@imc.org
From: David Yon <yon@dialout.net>
Subject: RE: [SIP] RE: Request for information on using T.30/T.37/T.38 wit h SIP/SDP/ RTP
Cc: sip@lists.bell-labs.com, 'Glenn Parsons' <gparsons@nortelnetworks.com>, 'Herman Silbiger' <hsilbiger@ieee.org>
Sender: sip-admin@lists.bell-labs.com
Date: Wed, 01 Nov 2000 17:37:13 -0500

The draft of T.38 Annex-D I've read is here (can anyone point me to a more
up-to-date draft?):

ftp://standards.nortelnetworks.com/itu_to_ietf/SG8/February00/

Based on that reading, the setup procedure of TCP is inextricably bridged
between two protocols: SDP and SIP.  It says that SDP is used to declare
that (a) TCP will be used, and (b) which port number to connect to.  But
the direction of the call determines the direction of the TCP connection
(callee must connect to caller, and caller must accept this connection), as
this is not declared in SDP.  So now instead of having a complete
description of the TCP behavior solely in the SDP packets, the context of
the call must be known in order to correctly predict the behavior of the
endpoints.

The I-D listed below addresses this problem, such that the behavior of the
endpoints is fully described by the SDP exchange.

That said, T.38 Annex-D and the TCP/SDP I-D do not conflict in any major
way.  The I-D defines that if the "direction" attribute is omitted, both
sides are to attempt to establish connections.  If T.38 opts to set up the
TCP connection based on call context in lieu of the "direction" attribute,
that's probably not a huge discrepancy.  Anyone disagree?

What is notably missing from my copy if T.38 Annex-D is an example of a
T.38 SIP exchange that specifies TCP.  The question I have is, what does
the receiver of the call put into its return SDP packet if it is agreeing
to use TCP?  Does it say "TCP"?  If so, what port number does it
specify?  Presumably the sender knows to ignore this port number, yes?

David Yon
Chief Technical Officer
Dialout.Net, Inc.
yon@dialout.net