RE: [SIP] RE: Request for information on using T.30/T.37/T.38 wit h SIP/SDP/ RTP

James Rafferty <jraff@brooktrout.com> Thu, 02 November 2000 14:01 UTC

From: James Rafferty <jraff@brooktrout.com>
To: 'David Yon' <yon@dialout.net>, Jean-Francois Mule <jfmule@clarent.com>, ietf-fax@imc.org
Cc: sip@lists.bell-labs.com, 'Glenn Parsons' <gparsons@nortelnetworks.com>, 'Herman Silbiger' <hsilbiger@ieee.org>
Subject: RE: [SIP] RE: Request for information on using T.30/T.37/T.38 wit h SIP/SDP/ RTP
Sender: sip-admin@lists.bell-labs.com
Date: Wed, 01 Nov 2000 16:46:33 -0500

To all -

The registration from ITU-T SG8 for IANA as related to SDP was related to
the
Approval last February of Annex D to T.38, which defines how to use SIP/SDP
with T.38 for facsimile session control.   T.38 needs to support both UDP
and TCP modes of operation, hence the need for the SDP extension to support
TCP (Glenn Parsons of Nortel was the editor).

So, the methods for using TCP within SDP for T.38 session control purposes
have been  described in detail in the T.38 Annex D.

So, I'd suggest that people who want to write ID's related to this, take a
look at what is in the T.38 Annex D (TIES users can read it as TD262rev2 in
the SG8 informal FTP area).   There is also a small amendment to T.38 annex
D (see Com8-114) which will be reviewed at the SG16 meeting during the week
of Nov 13-17.

I just checked on the ITU site and notice that T.38 Amendment 2 is not
published yet, so the TD262rev2 above is the only access to that text at the
moment.  Hopefully, this will change soon.

James

* -----------------------------------
James Rafferty
Senior Product Manager, IP Telephony
jraff@brooktrout.com

Brooktrout Technology
410 First Avenue
Needham, MA 02494 USA
Phone:  +1-781-433-9462
Fax: 781-433-9268
www.brooktrout.com
Your Hook into the New Network(SM)

ftp://ftp.dialout.net/drafts/draft-ietf-mmusic-sdp-tcpmedia-00.txt

So, in regards to the SIP/T.38 I-D, my only comment would be that it take
into account the I-D on SDP/TCP.  Or at the very least, participate with
better defining the SDP/TCP I-D such that is meets the needs of SIP/T.38
when using TCP for Media Transport.  As such, any comments on the I-D above
would be greatly appreciated.

Again, hopefully the draft will be in the IETF area soon, I don't know why
it is taking so long to work through the queue.

At 02:26 PM 10/27/00 -0700, Jean-Francois Mule wrote:
>There is an Internet-Draft on SIP and T.38 fax calls at
>http://search.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-mule-sip-t38callflows-00.txt
>It deals with how to negotiate a t.38 fax calls using sip as a signaling
>protocol (including switch over from audio/rtp to data/t38), the SDP
>attributes that itu-t sg-8 has registered with IANA.  Comments are
>appreciated on this Internet-Draft.

David Yon
Chief Technical Officer
Dialout.Net, Inc.