[Sip] DTLS-SRTP - more work for the SIP group

"DRAGE, Keith \(Keith\)" <drage@alcatel-lucent.com> Tue, 18 September 2007 18:41 UTC

Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2007 20:41:23 +0200
From: "DRAGE, Keith (Keith)" <drage@alcatel-lucent.com>
To: sip@ietf.org
Subject: [Sip] DTLS-SRTP - more work for the SIP group

(As WG co-chair)

You may remember that some time ago some work was identified that
crossed multiple working groups in the RAI area on the above subject.
Cullen took this ball away and played with it in a RAI BOF and there
came to some consensus on the way forward and what documentation was
required.

However we now need to put that work through real working groups to get
it to IESG so we are reallocating it to working groups.

I have requested milestones as follows:

Sep 2007	Requirements for media keying to WGLC (Informational)
Nov 2007	Requirements for media keying to IESG (Informational)

This will be WG milestones in support of progressing
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-wing-media-security-requiremen
ts-04.txt
And incorporating
draft-wing-rtpsec-keying-eval

This charter item will essentially be a discussion of how we got where
we are now. It is therefore not the most earthshattering document, but
it has been considered valuable to retain some permanent record and an
informational RFC is the way to do this.

Dec 2007	Establishment of secure media sessions using DTLS-SRTP
to WGLC (PS)
Feb 2008	Establishment of secure media sessions using DTLS-SRTP
to IESG (PS)

This will be WG milestones in support of progressing
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-fischl-sipping-media-dtls-03.t
xt

This charter item goes to SIP because it is security related, rather
than to SIPPING. This is one deliverable out of a package of 3, the
other two being:

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-avt-dtls-srtp-00.txt
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-fischl-mmusic-sdp-dtls-03.txt

Which will be handled by AVT and MMUSIC respectively.

What do you need to do as SIP WG members

Provide consensus or not to move these drafts forward.

Do you agree with the identified author drafts above forming the basis
of these charter items listed above? If not please express your
objections to the list, with appropriate technical considerations.
Indications of support are appropriate as well, particularly if you have
a technical point you wish to make (alternatively address the WG chairs
with just "Yes I support").

2007, unless there is a feeling that more time and discussion are
needed.

Regards

Keith