RE: [Sip] I-D Action:draft-ietf-sip-dtls-srtp-framework-00.txt

"Elwell, John" <john.elwell@siemens.com> Tue, 13 November 2007 08:06 UTC

Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2007 08:06:18 +0000
From: "Elwell, John" <john.elwell@siemens.com>
Subject: RE: [Sip] I-D Action:draft-ietf-sip-dtls-srtp-framework-00.txt
To: Jason Fischl <jason@counterpath.com>, Hannes Tschofenig <Hannes.Tschofenig@gmx.net>, Eric Rescorla <ekr@networkresonance.com>
Cc: sip@ietf.org

In Security Considerations, concerning UPDATE:
"OPEN ISSUE:  Note that there is a window of vulnerability during
   the early media phase of this operation before Alice receives the
   UPDATE (which immediately follows the SDP answer).  During this
   window, Alice cannot be sure of Bob's identity."
There is a vulnerability in any case during the early media phase if the
SDP answer does not arrive until the SIP 200 OK. So the additional
vulnerability is the short window between the 200 OK and the UPDATE
request. Also the UPDATE request can be sent earlier if reliable
provisional responses (RFC 3262) are used.

Concerning use of SIPS:
"The security issue with this approach is that if one of
   the Proxies wished to mount a man-in-the-middle attack, it could
   convince Alice that she was talking to Bob when really the media was
   flowing through a man in the middle media relay."
In fact, even a well-behaved proxy could forward the INVITE request to
Chuck (in accordance with Bob's requirements presumably), so Alice might
think she is talking to Bob when in fact she is talking to Chuck.

Concerning use of S/MIME:
"RFC 3261 [RFC3261] defines a S/MIME security mechanism for SIP that
   could be used to sign that the fingerprint was from Bob. This would
   be secure.  However, so far there have been no deployments of S/MIME
   for SIP."
It fails to mention that PKIX certs need to be provided on endpoints.

John