RE: [Sip] draft-ietf-sip-refer-02 - SHOULD strength when sending NOTIFY

"Ranjit Avasarala" <ranjitka@email.masconit.com> Thu, 13 December 2001 19:05 UTC

From: Ranjit Avasarala <ranjitka@email.masconit.com>
To: 'Robert Sparks' <rsparks@dynamicsoft.com>, 'JF Rey' <jfr@post.com>, sip@ietf.org
Subject: RE: [Sip] draft-ietf-sip-refer-02 - SHOULD strength when sending NOTIFY
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2001 12:54:28 -0600
Sender: sip-admin@ietf.org

what does 202 signify?

Regards
Ranjit

-----Original Message-----
From: Robert Sparks [mailto:rsparks@dynamicsoft.com]
Sent: Thursday, December 13, 2001 10:07 AM
To: 'JF Rey'; sip@ietf.org
Subject: RE: [Sip] draft-ietf-sip-refer-02 - SHOULD strength when
sending NOTIFY

inline

The referer is going to have to be prepared to never receive
a NOTIFY whether that requirement is a MUST or a SHOULD. IIRC, the
proponents of SHOULD earlier argued that they had systems where
they knew the referer did not care about the result and didn't want
the referee/network to be burdened with an effectively useless
NOTIFY. However - later in the message you caused me to realize
we need to realign with sip-events. See below.

> Besides, I understand that nothing prevents a referee to send
> NOTIFY on provisional responses (and not only on final
> the reference succeeded or failed" does not really take
> provisional responses into account. No example in
> draft-ietf-sip-cc-transfer-05.txt shows NOTIFY triggered by
> 1xx. If the referee INVITEs a human, the referer may have a
> very long time to wait before receiving a NOTIFY triggered by
> the 200 response to the INVITE.

This clarification has already been requested and will be added
to the drafts. I don't understand how the last sentence relates
to the rest of the paragraph though. It is correct in the presence
or absence of NOTIFYs carrying progress information.

> Do people implement REFER without the NOTIFY mechanism ?

I don't know. If someone does it would help if they speak up.

> If
> we can't change the SHOULD strength, could we have a way for
> the referee to indicate that it will send NOTIFY ?

The current sip-events draft requires an immediate notify,
so I think this may be moot. I think we need to align to that
change in sip-events - and the SHOULD you object to effectively
goes away. However, when implementing, you still need to protect
yourself against a NOTIFY never arriving for robustness.

>Could the
> wording in 3.5.3.1 include NOTIFY on provisional responses ?
Yes

RjS