Re: [Sip] a question about IETF draft location conveyance 09

"James M. Polk" <jmpolk@cisco.com> Wed, 21 November 2007 00:34 UTC

Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2007 18:33:58 -0600
To: Daniel Grotti <daniel.grotti@unibo.it>, IETF SIP List <sip@ietf.org>
From: "James M. Polk" <jmpolk@cisco.com>
Subject: Re: [Sip] a question about IETF draft location conveyance 09
DKIM-Signature: v=0.5; a=rsa-sha256; q=dns/txt; l=2563; t=1195605240; x=1196469240; c=relaxed/simple; s=sjdkim2002; h=Content-Type:From:Subject:Content-Transfer-Encoding:MIME-Version; d=cisco.com; i=jmpolk@cisco.com; z=From:=20=22James=20M.=20Polk=22=20<jmpolk@cisco.com> |Subject:=20Re=3A=20[Sip]=20a=20question=20about=20IETF=20draft=20locatio n=20conveyance=2009=20 |Sender:=20; bh=xXG2vbWlanvoo0CdbQ8/3NP+QI1n4MgT/+2Lt8q+RJQ=; b=e1go5d9OFsyeezWvYRiqTGpyNqgvNSQgg5qlnVz/agDe0XnRd6YP7u9r8/Sg4JaB73ZlbjLH 3RwE9Z/9nHLr5sFXbrPaqsvLXRUPQe4dS7TRXhtf3SwzkWTFQpPmPIEl;

Daniel

wow... you nailed this one quickly.

Neither the SIP WG nor Geopriv WG have a position with regard to
this.  I don't like the parameter at all, and have said so from its
introduction into discussions about putting it in the draft.  I don't
think it accomplishes much more than confusion or a false sense of
security by implementors.

That said, a proxy has "ar" capabilities wrt the Geolocation
according to Table 1. (on page 7), and associated text states this
pretty clearly. There is no text (not even a hint) that a proxy
cannot read a location because "recipient=endpoint", therefore it
can.  I would take this "recipient=" parameter as a hint to each type
of SIP entity that

         + if a UAS receives this parameter (meaning in a SIP request with
            a Geolocation header), and it is set to "recipient", the UAS
            shouldn't ignore the location in the request (like it otherwise
            might).

         + If a proxy receives this parameter (meaning in a SIP request with
            a Geolocation header), and it is set to "server", the proxy
            shouldn't ignore the location in the request (like it otherwise
            might).

I don't think either indication *ever* means the other SIP entity
type cannot view the location, based on the parameter.  The only
exception I can think of is a Location-by-value hidden by S/MIME
means no one save who has the decryption key can view the contents of
what's encrypted.

Does this make sense?

James