RE: sipping-retarget (was RE: [Sip] RE: Question to Identity draf t)

"Francois Audet" <audet@nortel.com> Wed, 20 April 2005 00:43 UTC

From: Francois Audet <audet@nortel.com>
To: "'Peterson, Jon'" <jon.peterson@neustar.biz>, 'Fries Steffen' <steffen.fries@siemens.com>, "'fluffy@cisco.com'" <fluffy@cisco.com>
Subject: RE: sipping-retarget (was RE: [Sip] RE: Question to Identity draf t)
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2005 20:43:18 -0400
Cc: 'IETF SIP List' <sip@ietf.org>
Sender: sip-bounces@ietf.org

OK, forget about the idea I was proposing, and instead let's
try to achieve it using the something along the lines of the
identity draft.

What about the connected number information being essentially
the same mechanism as what you have for the Calling identity,
but provided in the response?

Something like a new "Connected header" (or perhaps Contact
would be sufficient, I'm not sure), followed by the
Identity and Identity-Info? The Identity-Info header could
have something like https://biloxy.example.com.

The unanticipated respondent problem would be easier to deal
with because:
- In a lot of case, Bob and Carol (the retargetter and retargettee)
  could have the same certification authority, so Alice's decision to
  proceed or not with the call may not require going fetching the
  yet another certificate.
- Maybe we have "Require: connected-identity" header if we need the
  identity.
- Yes, if the SDP was encrypted (because of sRTP or whatever), it would
  cause another session to be re-established because of the 493 (or
  other appropriate rejection code).

Would that be a good way to solve the Connected number problem?

Now, moving to the next problem, the encrypted SDP.

Alice wants to call Bob and have secure media (because she is afraid of
hackers
tapping in).  In fact, she essentially wants all her media encrypted,
regardless of
who she talks too, even strangers. She does not have Bob in her contact
list, as she
is calling him for the first time. She also doesn't know Carol, his
assistant to whom the
call will be retargetted.

In the example above, the sequence would be this:

1 - Alice sends SUBSCRIBE to Bob to fetch his certificate because she
doesn't have it.
2 - Bob sends NOTIFY to Alice with his certificate.
3 - Alice sends INVITE to Bob, with SDP encrypted using Bob's key, along
with her Identity
4 - Bob doesnt' have Alice's certificate, so he sends SUBSCRIBE to Alice to
fetch her cert.
5 - Alice sends NOTIFY to Bob with her certificate.
6 - Bob retargets to Carol (forwards the INVITE to Carol).
7 - Carol responds with 493, since she can't decode the SDP, and includes
her Contact
    and her Identity.
8 - Alice sends SUBSCRIBE to Carol to get her cert.
9 - Carol sends NOTIFY to Alice with her cert.
10 - Alice sends INVITE to Alice with her Identity, encrypted with Carol's
key.
11 - Carol sends Alice a SUBSCRIBE to get her certificate.
12 - Alice sends NOTIFY to Carol with her certificate.
13 - Carol sends 200 OK to Alice, with SDP encrypted using Alice's key.

This is way too complicated and will take forever to complete a call. And in
my mind,
lots (if not the majority) of calls would look like this in environments
where
unanticipated respondents are typical (which is the case for a lot of
businesses).

Couldn't this be avoided if not only was Identity used in both directions
(solving the unanticipated respondent problem), and if Alice and Carol also
included their user certificate (for the purposed of sRTP) in the INVITE and
493? Instead of a 10 roundtrip session setup, it would be a 2 roundtrip
session setup.

Of course, in the case of people who know each other, Alice would have
subscribed to
Bob and Carol's certificate, so none of this would happen: it would be a 1
round-trip
session setup. In other words, I DO like the Certs draft, and it should be
used
whenever possible.