VS: [Sip] My two cents on the INFO question

"Christer Holmberg" <christer.holmberg@ericsson.com> Mon, 03 December 2007 13:03 UTC

Subject: VS: [Sip] My two cents on the INFO question
Date: Mon, 03 Dec 2007 14:03:53 +0100
From: Christer Holmberg <christer.holmberg@ericsson.com>
To: Jonathan Rosenberg <jdrosen@cisco.com>, IETF SIP List <sip@ietf.org>

Hi Jonathan,

If we do NOT this, it is not going to help interoperability either. People will continue using INFO in their own way (even if we go ahead with Eric's proposal), and the same discussion will come up at some point again (it's similar to the discussion on early media :). Yes, then we can say "it's not an IETF problem", but what good will that make for interoperability?

If we go ahead with this there will of course still be non-standard implementations out there, but at least it will allow for people to use a standardized mechanism.

Now, regarding the issue when it's more appropriate to use mechanism X rather than mechanism Y,  I think that is something we SHALL work on - no matter what we do with the Info Event draft - and I think it would be very useful to document. I do NOT think it's part of the Info-Event draft, however, but rather something more generic, where we collect and describe the difference mechanisms of doing things, the cons and prefs, etc. Then people won't have to try to look for different mechanism separately, and then try to compare them on their own.

But, as we have discussed, two of the main reasons why people use INFO instead of NOTIFY is because they can use the existing invite dialog (you CAN do that with NOTIFY also, but as we know there are lots of issues with that - which is the reason we recommend not to do it), and you don't have to assume the remote entity will know everything you may want to send to him (he will have to subscribe before you can send anything). INFO often also works better with B2BUAs, uses standard SIP mid-dialog routing etc.

Regarding DTMF, I agree that it has been the most obvious example, but there are also other usages people are looking into. I won't speculate about the most obvious DTMF-over-INFO (or DTMF-out-of-band in general) use-cases. Interworking with H.323 is certainly one use-case, another one is interworking with H.324m (in which case there MAY also be other type of information that you want to send), but people also use it for "pure" SIP-to-SIP communciations.

Thank You very much for your comments!

Regards,

Christer