Re: [SIP] Deleting Media Streams section in rfc2543bis

"Brett Tate" <brett@broadsoft.com> Fri, 07 July 2000 19:51 UTC

From: Brett Tate <brett@broadsoft.com>
To: Igor Slepchin <islepchin@dynamicsoft.com>, Henning Schulzrinne <schulzrinne@cs.columbia.edu>
Cc: SIPbell-labs <sip@lists.bell-labs.com>
Subject: Re: [SIP] Deleting Media Streams section in rfc2543bis
Date: Fri, 07 Jul 2000 15:54:55 -0400
Sender: sip-admin@lists.bell-labs.com

----- Original Message -----
From: Igor Slepchin <islepchin@dynamicsoft.com>
To: Henning Schulzrinne <schulzrinne@cs.columbia.edu>
Cc: Brett Tate <brett@broadsoft.com>; SIPbell-labs <sip@lists.bell-labs.com>
Sent: Friday, July 07, 2000 2:13 PM

> The problem with replacing SDP is that the replacement is impossible to
> detect generally. Say, I want to replace one media steam with another
> one with the same set of codecs. There is no way to do this unless you
> can match media lines in the new and old media descriptions. Mandating
> the order is one way to do this and that's how it is supposed to be done
> according to the RFC.

What's wrong with allowing a re-INVITE with a
new "o=" (or maybe the same "o=") to indicate
that all previous SDP
information is obsolete?  I think that this would
greatly increase the flexibility of 3rd party call
controllers.  It would also make it easier to attach
a SIP stack to end points which already generate
complete non-SIP specific SDPs.  It also
reduces the overhead of having to continually
store and pass around "m=" lines with 0 ports in
re-INVITEs.

> Generally, I see no harm caused by including "m=" lines with 0 ports. It
> is probably OK to be forgiving about receiving SDP with missing media
> lines if there is no ambiguity, but it is _not_ OK to generate such
> SDPs. In the example Henning cited, what happens if the callee later
> issues a re-INVITE with
>
> m=audio 8888 ...
> m=video 4444 ...
>
> Did the callee accept the original media stream or offered a new one?
> Besides, this clearly wouldn't work if all m= lines specified audio. So
> why create special cases if everything is already handled by the generic
> rules?

I can see potential uses for adding the "m=" lines
with 0 ports within 200 responses or "Delayed Media"
ACKs; however I'm not sure the benefits outweigh the
restriction of forcing the use of a "SIP specific" SDP.

What are the benefits of using the "m=" with port 0 in
a re-INVITE?