Re: [SIP] Deleting Media Streams section in rfc2543bis

Henning Schulzrinne <schulzrinne@cs.columbia.edu> Fri, 07 July 2000 17:08 UTC

Date: Fri, 07 Jul 2000 13:06:34 -0400
From: Henning Schulzrinne <schulzrinne@cs.columbia.edu>
To: Igor Slepchin <islepchin@dynamicsoft.com>
Cc: Brett Tate <brett@broadsoft.com>, SIPbell-labs <sip@lists.bell-labs.com>
Subject: Re: [SIP] Deleting Media Streams section in rfc2543bis
Sender: sip-admin@lists.bell-labs.com

Igor Slepchin wrote:

> > Brett Tate wrote:
> > It
> > would be worth mentioning in this section that a media
> > stream can also be deleted by the absence of a "m=..."
> > line which was in the previous SDP for the call leg.
>
> This is wrong: it cannot. The m= lines are never removed, otherwise you
> wouldn't be able to match m lines in response and request. Consider a
> situation where the request contains
>
> c=IN IP4 1.2.3.4
> m=audio 54678 RTP/AVP 0 1 3
> m=video 7346 RTP/AVP 10 13 (face)
> m=video 7880 RTP/AVP 10 11 (presentation)
>
> If the response contained something like
> m=audio 6540 RTP/AVP 0 1
> m=video 6578 RTP/AVP 10
>
> there would be no way to tell which of the two offered media streams was
> accepted and which one rejected.

While I don't disagree, practically speaking this
multiple-instance-of-one-type situation is fairly uncommon. We probably
still need to define what happens if you get a new SDP (it replaces the
old one). Realistically, we can't expect that

m=audio 4321 ...
m=video 5678 ...

will be answered by

m=audio 8888 ...
m=video 0

I suspect most implementations simply reply

m=audio 8888

if they can't do video.

I think there was some discussion at some point of labeling streams in
SDP, which would simplify this.
(http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-camarillo-sip-sdp-00.txt
seems to solve the opposite problem of "splitting" a single logical
stream across ports, but maybe the two concepts can be married.)

Henning Schulzrinne   http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~hgs