Re: [Sip] Toward the Evolution of SIP and Related Working Groups

Hadriel Kaplan <HKaplan@acmepacket.com> Mon, 23 June 2008 20:23 UTC

From: Hadriel Kaplan <HKaplan@acmepacket.com>
To: Dean Willis <dean.willis@softarmor.com>, Paul Kyzivat <pkyzivat@cisco.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2008 16:23:10 -0400
acceptlanguage: en-US
Cc: "sip@ietf.org" <sip@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [Sip] Toward the Evolution of SIP and Related Working Groups
Sender: sip-bounces@ietf.org

[fixed subject title, since I apparently broke it]

How about a compromise: 2 WG's of 2-hour meetings each (since today's SIP WG actually takes 2 of 2-hour meeting slots I think).
One for the general SIP stuff as today, and one for "SIP Security".

The new security group would take such things as:
draft-ietf-sip-dtls-srtp-framework
draft-ietf-sip-eku
draft-ietf-sip-media-security-requirements
draft-ietf-sip-ua-privacy
draft-ietf-sip-domain-certs
draft-ietf-sip-e2m-sec
draft-ietf-sip-saml

And it would be the venue for any new drafts/work related to Identity, Privacy, transport/media security as relates to SIP, etc.  I think this is roughly half the work in the SIP WG.  The people attending these two WG's would probably be nearly identical as today's SIP WG, and they would consume the same amount of meeting time as today's SIP WG, but it would cut your chair work in half.

It *won't* solve your eternal WG issue, but I think that problem is orthogonal and separately debatable.

-hadriel