RE: [Sip] Requirements on Reason information. New I-D

"Eric Burger" <eburger@snowshore.com> Tue, 19 March 2002 16:04 UTC

From: Eric Burger <eburger@snowshore.com>
To: Gonzalo Camarillo <Gonzalo.Camarillo@lmf.ericsson.se>
Cc: SIP List <sip@ietf.org>, Sipping <sipping@ietf.org>
Subject: RE: [Sip] Requirements on Reason information. New I-D
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2002 10:36:55 -0500
Sender: sip-admin@ietf.org

This is why we have SIPPING: the REASON header would be a sensible way of
solving the issues raised by Gonzalo in his draft.  In addition, it would,
with some modifications, also solve the issues raised in
draft-watson-sipping-req-history-00.txt.

I would propose that the requirements raised in
draft-camarillo-sipping-reason-00.txt get folded into a revision of
draft-watson-sipping-req-history.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think
draft-schulzrinne-sip-reason-01.txt, as it stands today, addresses the
history part of the SIPPING requirements.  The draft is silent on this
point, but it looks like the SIP entity generating the message with the
Reason header inserts it only for *its* operation.  That is, it explains why
that particular entity failed.  Said differently, it looks to me that there
will be only one Reason header in a SIP message.

If we can carry and identify the source of the Reason headers, like we do
for Via or SMTP does for Received-By, then this header can satisfy both
camarillo-sipping-reason's and watson-sipping-req-history's requirements.