[Sip] Toward the Evolution of SIP and Related Working Groups

Dean Willis <dean.willis@softarmor.com> Mon, 16 June 2008 23:22 UTC

From: Dean Willis <dean.willis@softarmor.com>
To: sip@ietf.org
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2008 18:23:18 -0500
Subject: [Sip] Toward the Evolution of SIP and Related Working Groups
Sender: sip-bounces@ietf.org

The SIP working group spun off from the MMUSIC working group when we
realized that the SIP work was reasonably separable from the other
work going on in MMUSIC.

The SIP working group first met officially at IETF 46 in November
1999, although we did have an earlier interim meeting.

This means that the fall 1999 meeting will be our 10th anniversary. In
addition to having a big party, I'd also like to plan for this being
the last meeting of the SIP working group as it is now defined. Ten
years is long enough. It's time we restructured.

There will probably still be people who want to change, revise,
extend, or otherwise manipulate the family of SIP specifications after
2009.

So what should we do? How should we organize to get those needs met?
Rest assured, we'll be having further discussions on this topic in the
coming months. But I'd like to start the discussion now.

By November 2009, I fully expect SIP to have completed the majority of
currently chartered items. Between now and then, we'll probably also
take on and complete a bit of new work (although I plan to be very
resistant to new work). I also expect that there are a few items on
our charter now that we're not going to finish. It may well be that
some of those items need a different organizational structure to
progress than what we have. Or maybe they don't need doing.

Further, I've come to believe that most working groups should be
shorter-lived and tightly constrained by their charters to produce a
single concise set of deliverables. There's still a need for a longer-
lived thing that maintains architectural oversight. I've come to
believe that this is the "area", not the working group.

Let's start the recap by looking at the current charter of the SIP WG.
I've eliminated the WGLC milestones to shorten the list, as each has a
following IESG milestone. Note that there's a Feb 2008 milestone for
"Revise Charter". You can consider this topic the first installment on
that milestone, even though it is a bit late.

1) Jul 2007 Location Conveyance with SIP to IESG (PS)

2) Aug 2007 Connection reuse mechanism to IESG (PS)

3) Sep 2007 Session Policies to IESG as PS

4) Sep 2007 Example security flows to IESG (Informational)

5) Oct 2007 New resource priority namespaces for DISA to IESG (PS)

6) Nov 2007 Requirements for media keying to IESG (Informational)

7 )Dec 2007 Extensions to SIP UA Profile Delivery Change Notification
Event Package for XCAP to IESG (PS)

8) Dec 2007 Roadmap for SIP to IESG (Informational)

9) Dec 2007 Using SAML for SIP to IESG (PS)

10) Dec 2007 Extension for use in etags in conditional notification to
IESG (PS)

11) Feb 2008 Identify requirements for test matrix to move SIP to
Draft Standard

12) Feb 2008 Delivering request-URI and parameters to UAS via proxy to
IESG (PS)

13) Feb 2008 Revise charter

14) Feb 2008 Establishment of secure media sessions using DTLS-SRTP to
IESG (PS)

15) Apr 2008 MIME body handling in SIP to IESG (PS)

16) Apr 2008 Essential corrections to RFC 3261 (1st batch) to IESG (PS)

17) Jul 2008 Mechanisms for UA initiated privacy to IESG (BCP)

18) Aug 2008 Guidelines for double route recording to IESG (BCP)

19) Sep 2008 X.509 Certificates for TLS use in SIP to IESG (PS)

20) Sep 2008 X.509 extended key usage for SIP to IESG (PS)

21) Nov 2008 Termination of early dialog prior to final response to
IESG (PS)

Looking at this, we have a couple of discrete tasks that I think might
make the basis for different narrowly-scoped working groups. We've
also got a lot of stuff that we're late on delivering!

1) SIP WG (to finish by end of 2009) gets the bulk of these items.

2) SIP Draft Standard WG: Takes the milestone of "Identify
requirements for test matrix to move SIP to Draft Standard" and all of
the follow-on work needed to move SIP from Proposed to Draft on the
standards track. There's certainly enough work here for a dedicated
working group, with the last milestone being something like "Deliver
SIP as a Draft Standards Document to IESG". We may wish to consider
whether we really want to go this route or whether we should instead
be thinking of a "SIP 3.0" effort. My personal though is that there's
just too much cruft in the RFC 3261 family to make Draft, but I could
be proven wrong. I'd rather see us put SIP 2.0 into maintenance mode
at the end of 2009 and move the bulk of our resources into developing
a SIP 3.0 family designed from the ground up to be Draft-Standard
achievable.

3) RAI Essential Corrections WG: Does this justify its own working
group? Remember, it would be not just RFC 3261, but the entire family
of related RFCs that would need lock-step maintenance and corrections.
Another approach might be to roll the corrections into the Draft
Standard version of SIP 2.0.

4) RAI Policies WG: We have these ongoing, not-quite-committed work
items like session policies, use of SAML, etc.  that we've never been
able to get fully wrapped up. I suspect they need their own WG. Or we
need to decide that these things just aren't worth doing and stop
feeling guilty about not finishing. As it is, I don't have a good
feeling about SIP finishing them.

5) SIP Operations: I'd like to see SIPPING replaced with a "how to"
group possibly under the OPS banner. They could deal with all the "how
do we do X with SIP" from other SDOs. When confronted by a need to
extend SIP to meet a given need, they could then BOF up a new WG to
deal with the required extension.

We already have working groups looking at conferencing, peering,
telephony feature interop, provisioning, peer-to-peer, NAT traversal,

Other things that might need WGs: SPIT? Identity and Reputation?

I also suspect we need a couple of directorates that are not WGs to
act in an advisory capacity:

1) RAI Security Directorate: Focuses on security review and
architectural issues in RAI documents.

2) RAI Event Package Directorate: Reviews and approves new SIP event
packages