RE: [Sip] Review of draft-ietf-sip-gruu-12

"Michael Procter" <michael.procter@citel.com> Wed, 21 March 2007 09:59 UTC

Subject: RE: [Sip] Review of draft-ietf-sip-gruu-12
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2007 02:58:26 -0700
From: Michael Procter <michael.procter@citel.com>
To: Paul Kyzivat <pkyzivat@cisco.com>
Cc: sip@ietf.org

To be honest, I don't know.  I noticed temp-gruu lifetime being
discussed extensively during yesterday's session, but I don't recall
anything relating to this being raised.

My concern is purely related to the idea of GRUUs being invented on
behalf of devices that don't support GRUUs.  I hadn't realized that this
was possible until I read this from Jonathan:

: However, we ran into an issue that a UA might register with an
instance
: ID but not support GRUU, and then something is subscribed to reg-event

: and wants to learn its gruu. So you don't return the gruu to the UA,
but
: you still need to generate the GRUU to deliver in reg-event.

I think that there are nasty behavioral problems if a gruu is
distributed on behalf of a UA that doesn't support gruu.

So, my questions are now:
1) Can a registrar create and advertise a gruu for a UA that doesn't
support gruu?

2) If so, how do we arrange things so that the scenarios I've described
before don't arise?

Michael

Paul Kyzivat wrote:
> Is this discussion moot at this time?
>
> 	Paul
>
> Michael Procter wrote:
> > Paul Kyzivat wrote:
> >> Michael,
> >>
> >> There are more cases for this. A fundamental problem is that saying
> >> "Supported:gruu" says "I support the gruu option". Its at least a
bit
> >> weird to try to make it mean "I want you to assign gruus for the
> >> contacts in this request."
> >
> > If a REGISTER message that includes 'Supported:gruu', means 'I
support
> > the GRUU option', then I don't think it is particularly weird to
read in
> > the additional meaning 'and if you also support GRUUs, please
perform
> > the appropriate action'.
> >
> >> Suppose it meant the latter. And suppose there are UAs X and Y both
> >> registering for the same AOR. X registers first, and indicates
support
> >> for gruu, and provides a contact with an instance id. So it gets a
> > gruu
> >> back for its contact. Then Y registers, indicates support for gruu
and
> >> provides a contact with instance id. The response to Y's register
will
> >> contain contacts for both X and Y. And it will contain the gruus
for
> >> both X and Y. But it didn't cause the assignment of a a gruu for X.
So

> > This paragraph appears truncated.  I think I agree with what is
written
> > above, but you may not have reached the punch line!
> >
> >> Then consider a similar scenario, only X didn't support gruu. Now
the
> >> response to X's register doesn't contain a gruu. But does the
response
> >> to Y's register contain a gruu for X's contact?
> >
> > I don't think it should contain a GRUU for X's contact, because I
don't
> > think a GRUU should be created for X if X doesn't support using it
> > properly.
> >
> >> As written, the registrar doesn't have to remember anything new.
The