Re: privacy without b2bua, was: Re: third alternative (was RE: [Sip] RE: Identity after reinvite)

Paul Kyzivat <pkyzivat@cisco.com> Wed, 24 November 2004 14:37 UTC

Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2004 09:33:38 -0500
From: Paul Kyzivat <pkyzivat@cisco.com>
To: Jonathan Rosenberg <jdrosen@cisco.com>
Subject: Re: privacy without b2bua, was: Re: third alternative (was RE: [Sip] RE: Identity after reinvite)
Cc: 'Cullen Jennings' <fluffy@cisco.com>, "'sip@ietf.org'" <sip@ietf.org>, 'David R Oran' <oran@cisco.com>, "Peterson, Jon" <jon.peterson@neustar.biz>
Sender: sip-bounces@ietf.org

Jonathan - inline.

	Paul

Jonathan Rosenberg wrote:

>> RFC3323 is about due for an update, I think, because the major functions
>> that it provides can be performed without a B2BUA, thanks to new SIP
>> mechanisms like GRUUs and session-policy. So while I agree that an
>> anonymization service is the right approach to this problem, these days I
>> think you can probably build an anonymization service without building a
>> B2BUA.
>
> I believe this is probably true. Here's how I think it'd work:
>
> A client that wants to make an anonymous call contacts a TURN server
> providing anonymization services. That server provides the client with
> IP addresses and ports that it can use in its Via, contact, and SDP. The
> From field is anonymized. A privacy header is inserted. The request is
> sent via the TURN server to the user's outbound proxy. That proxy can
> still authenticate the client, and even insert an identity header that
> at least vouches that the client is a legit client that is just anonymous.

While I buy the approach, I don't think what you are describing is a
TURN server. It is a combination of a TURN server and a SIP
anonymization server. And I don't even see how this can be viewed as one
thing. The client has to contact a TURN server from the address/port it
intends to use for media. For multiple media streams it needs to do this
multiple times from different source ports. It also has to contact the
sip anonymization server to set up the sip anonymization. Then it can
proceed as you describe.

Still seems like a good approach - but it requires additional servers /
protocols, and extra work on the part of the client. I can see how some
might find it easier to just send a sip request to a server that does
all the work by magic.

	Paul