Re: [sipcore] I-D Action: draft-sparks-sipcore-refer-clarifications-04.txt
Adam Roach <adam@nostrum.com> Mon, 27 October 2014 14:02 UTC
Return-Path: <adam@nostrum.com>
X-Original-To: sipcore@ietfa.amsl.com
Delivered-To: sipcore@ietfa.amsl.com
Received: from localhost (ietfa.amsl.com [127.0.0.1]) by ietfa.amsl.com (Postfix) with ESMTP id 971861A8ACA for <sipcore@ietfa.amsl.com>; Mon, 27 Oct 2014 07:02:40 -0700 (PDT)
X-Virus-Scanned: amavisd-new at amsl.com
X-Spam-Flag: NO
X-Spam-Score: -1.91
X-Spam-Level:
X-Spam-Status: No, score=-1.91 tagged_above=-999 required=5 tests=[BAYES_00=-1.9, T_RP_MATCHES_RCVD=-0.01] autolearn=ham
Received: from mail.ietf.org ([4.31.198.44]) by localhost (ietfa.amsl.com [127.0.0.1]) (amavisd-new, port 10024) with ESMTP id XNfMKHHY2zOT for <sipcore@ietfa.amsl.com>; Mon, 27 Oct 2014 07:02:39 -0700 (PDT)
Received: from nostrum.com (raven-v6.nostrum.com [IPv6:2001:470:d:1130::1]) (using TLSv1.2 with cipher ECDHE-RSA-AES256-GCM-SHA384 (256/256 bits)) (No client certificate requested) by ietfa.amsl.com (Postfix) with ESMTPS id 5FB811ACD27 for <sipcore@ietf.org>; Mon, 27 Oct 2014 07:02:00 -0700 (PDT)
Received: from Orochi.local (99-152-145-110.lightspeed.dllstx.sbcglobal.net [99.152.145.110]) (authenticated bits=0) by nostrum.com (8.14.9/8.14.7) with ESMTP id s9RE1vbx014614 (version=TLSv1/SSLv3 cipher=DHE-RSA-AES256-SHA bits=256 verify=NO); Mon, 27 Oct 2014 09:01:58 -0500 (CDT) (envelope-from adam@nostrum.com)
X-Authentication-Warning: raven.nostrum.com: Host 99-152-145-110.lightspeed.dllstx.sbcglobal.net [99.152.145.110] claimed to be Orochi.local
Message-ID: <544E5055.8040901@nostrum.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2014 09:01:57 -0500
From: Adam Roach <adam@nostrum.com>
User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10.8; rv:31.0) Gecko/20100101 Thunderbird/31.2.0
MIME-Version: 1.0
To: Paul Kyzivat <pkyzivat@alum.mit.edu>, sipcore@ietf.org
References: <7ECFBBA7034CE9ietf.shinji@gmail.com> <54469111.7020103@nostrum.com> <5446A130.9010602@alum.mit.edu>
In-Reply-To: <5446A130.9010602@alum.mit.edu>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="utf-8"; format="flowed"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Archived-At: http://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/msg/sipcore/C5_lPfFPZebXeiySHXvENyaNr7k
Subject: Re: [sipcore] I-D Action: draft-sparks-sipcore-refer-clarifications-04.txt
X-BeenThere: sipcore@ietf.org
X-Mailman-Version: 2.1.15
Precedence: list
List-Id: SIP Core Working Group <sipcore.ietf.org>
List-Unsubscribe: <https://www.ietf.org/mailman/options/sipcore>, <mailto:sipcore-request@ietf.org?subject=unsubscribe>
List-Archive: <http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/sipcore/>
List-Post: <mailto:sipcore@ietf.org>
List-Help: <mailto:sipcore-request@ietf.org?subject=help>
List-Subscribe: <https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sipcore>, <mailto:sipcore-request@ietf.org?subject=subscribe>
X-List-Received-Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2014 14:02:40 -0000
On 10/21/14 13:08, Paul Kyzivat wrote: > I'd like some clarity on what "must use a gruu" means. > Does this mean the contact must have a "gr" parameter, or only that it > must be globally routable? (Note that 3261 has always required contact > URIs to be globally routable.) The key difference is that with a "gr" > parameter the other end can verify that the uri has been asserted to > be globally routable. I'm using GRUU as a shorthand for "the mechanism described in RFC5627" because it's easier to type. I think applying the term "GRUU" to other kinds of URIs, regardless of their routing properties, is going to muddy the waters, and make it nearly impossible to talk about the RFC5627 mechanism. In any case, the global routability of Contacts hasn't been true in a formal sense since the introduction of RFC3327, and hasn't been true in a practical sense since the introduction of NATs. We can't rely on it being true; and, in fact, it's going to be false in the vast majority of cases unless RFC5627 is employed. /a
- Re: [sipcore] I-D Action: draft-sparks-sipcore-re… OKUMURA Shinji
- Re: [sipcore] I-D Action: draft-sparks-sipcore-re… Adam Roach
- Re: [sipcore] I-D Action: draft-sparks-sipcore-re… Paul Kyzivat
- Re: [sipcore] I-D Action: draft-sparks-sipcore-re… Adam Roach
- Re: [sipcore] I-D Action: draft-sparks-sipcore-re… Paul Kyzivat