Re: [sipcore] I-D Action: draft-sparks-sipcore-refer-clarifications-04.txt
Adam Roach <adam@nostrum.com> Tue, 21 October 2014 17:00 UTC
Return-Path: <adam@nostrum.com>
X-Original-To: sipcore@ietfa.amsl.com
Delivered-To: sipcore@ietfa.amsl.com
Received: from localhost (ietfa.amsl.com [127.0.0.1]) by ietfa.amsl.com (Postfix) with ESMTP id 57F491A8720 for <sipcore@ietfa.amsl.com>; Tue, 21 Oct 2014 10:00:16 -0700 (PDT)
X-Virus-Scanned: amavisd-new at amsl.com
X-Spam-Flag: NO
X-Spam-Score: -1.91
X-Spam-Level:
X-Spam-Status: No, score=-1.91 tagged_above=-999 required=5 tests=[BAYES_00=-1.9, T_RP_MATCHES_RCVD=-0.01] autolearn=ham
Received: from mail.ietf.org ([4.31.198.44]) by localhost (ietfa.amsl.com [127.0.0.1]) (amavisd-new, port 10024) with ESMTP id bMhaa3V3ITkf for <sipcore@ietfa.amsl.com>; Tue, 21 Oct 2014 10:00:14 -0700 (PDT)
Received: from nostrum.com (raven-v6.nostrum.com [IPv6:2001:470:d:1130::1]) (using TLSv1.2 with cipher ECDHE-RSA-AES256-GCM-SHA384 (256/256 bits)) (No client certificate requested) by ietfa.amsl.com (Postfix) with ESMTPS id DEB1A1A8AE2 for <sipcore@ietf.org>; Tue, 21 Oct 2014 10:00:05 -0700 (PDT)
Received: from Orochi.local (99-152-145-110.lightspeed.dllstx.sbcglobal.net [99.152.145.110]) (authenticated bits=0) by nostrum.com (8.14.9/8.14.7) with ESMTP id s9LH012e085864 (version=TLSv1/SSLv3 cipher=DHE-RSA-AES256-SHA bits=256 verify=NO); Tue, 21 Oct 2014 12:00:02 -0500 (CDT) (envelope-from adam@nostrum.com)
X-Authentication-Warning: raven.nostrum.com: Host 99-152-145-110.lightspeed.dllstx.sbcglobal.net [99.152.145.110] claimed to be Orochi.local
Message-ID: <54469111.7020103@nostrum.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2014 12:00:01 -0500
From: Adam Roach <adam@nostrum.com>
User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10.8; rv:31.0) Gecko/20100101 Thunderbird/31.2.0
MIME-Version: 1.0
To: OKUMURA Shinji <ietf.shinji@gmail.com>, sipcore@ietf.org
References: <7ECFBBA7034CE9ietf.shinji@gmail.com>
In-Reply-To: <7ECFBBA7034CE9ietf.shinji@gmail.com>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="utf-8"; format="flowed"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Archived-At: http://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/msg/sipcore/_xGQE5rocCr3Jv50IAmv1Zaxp5I
Subject: Re: [sipcore] I-D Action: draft-sparks-sipcore-refer-clarifications-04.txt
X-BeenThere: sipcore@ietf.org
X-Mailman-Version: 2.1.15
Precedence: list
List-Id: SIP Core Working Group <sipcore.ietf.org>
List-Unsubscribe: <https://www.ietf.org/mailman/options/sipcore>, <mailto:sipcore-request@ietf.org?subject=unsubscribe>
List-Archive: <http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/sipcore/>
List-Post: <mailto:sipcore@ietf.org>
List-Help: <mailto:sipcore-request@ietf.org?subject=help>
List-Subscribe: <https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sipcore>, <mailto:sipcore-request@ietf.org?subject=subscribe>
X-List-Received-Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2014 17:00:16 -0000
[as participant] On 8/19/14 07:13, OKUMURA Shinji wrote: > If the 6665 compliant UAS supports REFER, then > 1) In a dialog created by INVITE, a local Contact of the UAS MUST be GRUU. This is actually a clarification for RFC 6665, not REFER. I still owe the WG a draft clarifying exactly this point, and apologize for being rather deeply behind on coming up with this. > 2) If the UAS supports a scenario for a transfer, then it SHOULD support tdialog. This is a good point; I believe it should be couched in terms of pointing out that both referers and referees compliant with 6665 are bound by section 6.5 of RFC 6665, and that the appropriate mechanism for REFER is RFC 4538. (RFC 6665 implies that it expects event packages to call this out explicitly, so I think that including it in the clarifications document would be good form) > 3) When the UAS receives REFER within the dialog, if referer supports tdialog, > then the UAS MAY respond by 3xx "Extension Required" with "Required: tdialog" and "Contact: GRUUofReferee", > else the UAS MAY accept the REFER. It looks like you're trying to add behavior to RFC6665 referees to force pre-RFC6665 referers that support tdialog (but have elected not to use it) to use it. I'm not sure this adds much value -- the prospect that a client would know how to do this but decide not to seem kind of slim -- but I don't really see any harm. > 4) When the UAS receives REFER out of the dialog, UAS MAY accept the REFER. I'm not sure this needs to be said. I think it's reasonable to assume that it would accept the REFER, subject to its local policy. Adding words to reiterate obvious behavior makes the document longer, and therefore worse. > 1) If a UAS's local Contact inside an existing dialog is gruu, then the 6665 compliant UAC MUST use REFER out of dialog. There's been a lot of discussion around this wording, and the desire seems to be to leave the door open for the explicit subscription mechanism that Robert is also working on. The resulting text is the first sentence of section 4. It basically says the same thing as you're proposing, except that it doesn't need to be updated by the explicit subscription mechanism. > 2) If the UAC supports a scenario for a transfer, then it SHOULD support tdialog. This is covered by (2), above. > 3) If a UAS does not support both of gruu and tdialog, then the 6665 compliant UAC MAY use REFER within dialog. I think this is covered adequately in the final paragraph of section 4. > 4) If a UAC received 3xx "Extension Required" response for REFER that contains "Required: tdialog", > then UAS MAY send REFER out of dialog. The REFER request SHOULD contain "Targer-Dialog" header. This seems to be trying to impose requirements on legacy, already deployed clients. I'm not sure how it provides any value without the use of a time machine. /a
- Re: [sipcore] I-D Action: draft-sparks-sipcore-re… OKUMURA Shinji
- Re: [sipcore] I-D Action: draft-sparks-sipcore-re… Adam Roach
- Re: [sipcore] I-D Action: draft-sparks-sipcore-re… Paul Kyzivat
- Re: [sipcore] I-D Action: draft-sparks-sipcore-re… Adam Roach
- Re: [sipcore] I-D Action: draft-sparks-sipcore-re… Paul Kyzivat