[sipcore] Why "rollback" and how "rollback" // New revision of the re-INVITE handling draft

gao.yang2@zte.com.cn Thu, 09 July 2009 08:55 UTC

To: SIPCORE <sipcore@ietf.org>
From: gao.yang2@zte.com.cn
Date: Thu, 09 Jul 2009 16:56:05 +0800
Cc: OKUMURA Shinji <shin@softfront.co.jp>
Subject: [sipcore] Why "rollback" and how "rollback" // New revision of the re-INVITE handling draft

[as individual]

Why "rollback"?
Choose the session state is the first step. And the reason is:
1. Obey the original concept of RFC3261;
2. It is the intuitionistic(user point of view) requirement for rejecting
session modification.

How "rollback"?
Choose the solution of how to reach the state is the second step:
There are more than one solution for this. Widely discussed solutions are:
1. draft-gaoyang-sipping-session-state-criterion-03
2. draft-camarillo-sipcore-reinvite-00

"draft-gaoyang-sipping-session-state-criterion-03" classify session
modifications into different categories and specify different rules for
different categories. This proposal has same merits:
1. Has no violation to current RFCs;
2. Has no racing condition problem.
But Gonzalo pointed out a problem(I remember Paul said something like
this, but not shocked me at that time): Impossible to understand the
current state by just looking the call flow; details about the messages
would be needed. Though we can avoid it by BCP, it is really a problem in
theory which changes the charts' style for our engineers.

So, I support "draft-camarillo-sipcore-reinvite-00" now. And we really
need the regulation to making equipment interworking about this problem
exercisable.

 Zip    : 210012
 Tel    : 87211
 Tel2   :(+86)-025-52877211
 e_mail : gao.yang2@zte.com.cn

ZTE Information Security Notice: The information contained in this mail is solely property of the sender's organization. This mail communication is confidential. Recipients named above are obligated to maintain secrecy and are not permitted to disclose the contents of this communication to others.
This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you have received this email in error please notify the originator of the message. Any views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender.
This message has been scanned for viruses and Spam by ZTE Anti-Spam system.