Re: [sipcore] Content-Length in multipart body parts

<bruno.chatras@orange.com> Mon, 25 June 2012 11:24 UTC

From: bruno.chatras@orange.com
To: Paul Kyzivat <pkyzivat@alum.mit.edu>, Hadriel Kaplan <HKaplan@acmepacket.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2012 11:24:09 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.197.38.5]
Cc: "Dale R (Dale) Worley" <dworley@avaya.com>, "<sipcore@ietf.org>" <sipcore@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [sipcore] Content-Length in multipart body parts

I just noticed that the status of erratum #3167 on RFC 6086 (SIP INFO) was changed from "Reported" to "Held for Document Update" rather than "Approved/Verified".

I guess that this decision was made based on the following guidelines for errata processing
http://www.ietf.org/iesg/statement/errata-processing.html

1) Only errors that could cause implementation or deployment problems or significant confusion should be Approved.
2) Things that are clearly wrong but could not cause an implementation or deployment problem should be Hold for Document Update.

Although the reported error occurs in examples only, I would like to stress that they do cause significant confusion as some vendors have relied on such examples. I'm aware of practical interoperability issues currently encountered in some networks due to these examples. Therefore, I don't think the "Held for Document Update" status is appropriate.

The same applies to other errata submitted (or to be submitted) on the RFCs mentioned below, especially Erratum #3183 on RFC3261, although its status is still marked as "Reported".

Bruno