Re: [sipcore] I-D Action: draft-ietf-sipcore-sip-token-authnz-02.txt

Paul Kyzivat <pkyzivat@alum.mit.edu> Mon, 08 July 2019 16:57 UTC

To: sipcore@ietf.org
From: Paul Kyzivat <pkyzivat@alum.mit.edu>
Date: Mon, 08 Jul 2019 12:56:04 -0400
Subject: Re: [sipcore] I-D Action: draft-ietf-sipcore-sip-token-authnz-02.txt

On 7/7/19 7:19 AM, Rifaat Shekh-Yusef wrote:
> All,
>
> We have submitted a new version of the document based on the feedback
> provided so far.
> Please, take a look at let us know what you think.

This is better. I still have a few thoughts:

* Regarding WWW-Authenticate:

I believe it will how be possible for a server to support both Digest
and Bearer. I think this means that the client can use either depending
on what sort of credentials it or its user happen to know.

I think it would be good to mention this. I guess in principle the
client could return credentials for both. In that case, I don't know
whether both must be valid or if it is sufficient for one to be valid.
Perhaps we need to discuss that. (Presumably only credentials for a/the
realm that the server supports are to be considered, with those for
other realms being ignored.)

* Regarding non-registration requests (and maybe registration requests too):

    The UA MUST NOT insert a token in a non-REGISTER request, unless the
    non-REGISTER request has been challenged, or the peer is considered a
    trusted entity.

What is a trusted entity? In any case I think this is too strong. Once a
request has been challenged the client knows this target wants the
credentials. We certainly don't want to force every subsequent request
to the same target to take two round trips, one without credentials and
then one with. So the client needs to associate these credentials with
this target, for awhile. But that begs the question of how long to
retain this association. In the case of Digest, a nonce eventually
expires and the old credentials fail and get forgotten and replaced by
new ones. I guess the life cycle will be somewhat different for Bearer.
This needs some thought and discussion.

	Thanks,
	Paul