RE: How to handle Validation failures was RE: [Sipping-emergency] proposed charter, new wg on emergency

"Brian Rosen" <br@brianrosen.net> Tue, 28 September 2004 02:27 UTC

From: Brian Rosen <br@brianrosen.net>
To: "'Peterson, Jon'" <jon.peterson@neustar.biz>, 'Marc Linsner' <mlinsner@cisco.com>, sipping-emergency@ietf.org
Subject: RE: How to handle Validation failures was RE: [Sipping-emergency] proposed charter, new wg on emergency
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2004 22:11:33 -0400
Sender: sipping-emergency-bounces@ietf.org

I did not mean to imply that the group, or IETF agreed on validation.  I was
really only addressing Nate.  Sorry for the confusion.

I can get any number of professionals in the emergency call space to talk to
you about validation.  Nate is a good resource.  It's a fundamental
requirement when you have location.

It's separable in the sense that you could have two entirely separate
mechanisms to determine routing and to validate a location.  However, I
observe that both involve the same sequence of actions: you take a location,
and look it up in a database to determine where to route the call.  If you
don't find the location in the database, then it's not a valid location.
You can do the lookup any time, and use any mechanism to query, but you need
to use a lookup to determine boundaries, and that lookup can, by
implication, validate the address.  That makes the job easy, which is good,
but the real issue is that it's a requirement, a pressing requirement,
that won't wait.

It's not backend if you want the USER to be able to determine if the
location is valid.  I care, and I think it needs to be a first class
requirement.  Whether it's backend or not, it needs to be standardized
because the parts that deliver the address and the parts that have the
database are independent of each other and need to be able to work together.

The expertise is not an issue.  The validation problem is simple.  Any
complications are really in the nature of the representation of the
information and are in any event shared with the routing.

Brian