RE: [Sipping-emergency] Re: [Sipping-emergency] draft-schulzrinne -sipping-emergency-req-00

"Peterson, Jon" <jon.peterson@neustar.biz> Tue, 25 February 2003 21:33 UTC

From: "Peterson, Jon" <jon.peterson@neustar.biz>
To: 'Henning Schulzrinne' <hgs@cs.columbia.edu>, "King, Kimberly S." <KIMBERLY.S.KING@saic.com>
Cc: sipping-emergency@ietf.org
Subject: RE: [Sipping-emergency] Re: [Sipping-emergency] draft-schulzrinne -sipping-emergency-req-00
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2003 16:33:08 -0500
Sender: sipping-emergency-admin@ietf.org

Heh, right. I've been considering the 'last mile' chunk to be between the
end user (currently, their POTS phone - in the future, their IP phone) and
the selection router - that's how I thought we were using the term in our
conf call, and hence my confusion (I was contrasting the terms 'last mile'
with 'trunking replacement' on the call). The use of the term 'access' in
the title of section 4 made me think you were describing the access portion
of the network (i.e. copper to the home, etc). Your suggestion in the intro
to the section that the transport could be analog or ISDN but might be
replaced with DSL certainly supported that reading. I thought the term
'trunking' was used casually there.

I guess looking more closely at that section, requirement M-7 and a few
others might have tipped me off that these requirements were about the
trunking replacement. The definition in section 3 of 'last mile emergency
service' also is a pretty good indicator. I don't know if this would have
been unclear to someone who hadn't been on our conference call. I imagine
that paraphrasing the definition of 'last mile' from section 3 in the intro
to section 4 would clear up any conceivable ambiguity. I also would avoid
using the term 'access' in the title of section 4.

>From my perspective anyway, what I'm concerned about is that the full e2e
solution be bundled separately from the more immediately achievable work.
Whether or not these two are in separate sections is less material to me,
but ultimately, we know that the section 4 solution is not depending on
geopriv, but the later material is. I think there is value in having the
section 4 work go forward on its own merits, and fully specifying this
solution - I know you think this is trivial, but to me, trivial means
achievable. :) Putting the later e2e work in a separate document would
remove any geopriv dependencies for the section 4 work.

- J