RE: How to handle Validation failures was RE: [Sipping-emergency]proposed charter, new wg on emergency

wilcox@e911.psd.state.vt.us Tue, 28 September 2004 11:01 UTC

From: wilcox@e911.psd.state.vt.us
Subject: RE: How to handle Validation failures was RE: [Sipping-emergency]proposed charter, new wg on emergency
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2004 06:58:19 -0400
To: "Peterson, Jon" <jon.peterson@neustar.biz>, Brian Rosen <br@brianrosen.net>, Marc Linsner <mlinsner@cisco.com>, sipping-emergency@ietf.org
Sender: sipping-emergency-bounces@ietf.org

Validating location information is implicit for routing. Otherwise, all calls would be treated as "default" routed or worse, would rely on other mechanisms to provide routing instructions outside the control of the ECC (the ECC currently provides instructions and input on the construct of the MSAG to the extent possible, which is used for the validation process). Unvalidated location information could reduce or even prevent a timely emergency response to a particular location. As I implied before, the lack of validation should not prevent delivery of a call to a geographically appropriate ECC however, all efforts need to be made to ensure that end devices utilize validated location information. So, if the charter of this effort is to decide on how routing is accomplished than validation of the information used to make that routing decision should be considered in the process as well.

Nate