Re: [Sipping] SIP Device Configuration and RESCAP

Henning Schulzrinne <hgs@cs.columbia.edu> Tue, 26 March 2002 14:04 UTC

Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2002 08:53:43 -0500
From: Henning Schulzrinne <hgs@cs.columbia.edu>
To: Richard Shockey <rich.shockey@neustar.com>
CC: sipping@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [Sipping] SIP Device Configuration and RESCAP
Sender: sipping-admin@ietf.org

I don't think this applies. RESCAP (assuming it will ever reach take-off
velocity) allows random strangers to discover the capabilities of a
device; device configuration allows one device to find its own
configuration information. The security model is exactly the opposite.
RESCAP fits the model to the extent that any RPC-like mechanism would.
Yes, RESCAP is yet another IETF attempt to create a specialized version
of RPC (defined here as retrieval of structured data from a known
location).

If you take the RPC viewpoint, the protocol solution to the problem is
rather easy, reduced to defining a set of data structures in whatever
RPC environment one would like to play in. Fortunately or unfortunately,
SNMP is also an RPC-like protocol, albeit typically going in the wrong
direction (from management station to the device, rather than the other
way around).