RE: [Sipping] SIP Device Configuration and RESCAP

"Blatherwick, Peter" <Peter_Blatherwick@Mitel.COM> Tue, 26 March 2002 15:11 UTC

From: "Blatherwick, Peter" <Peter_Blatherwick@Mitel.COM>
To: 'Henning Schulzrinne' <hgs@cs.columbia.edu>, Richard Shockey <rich.shockey@neustar.com>
Cc: sipping@ietf.org
Subject: RE: [Sipping] SIP Device Configuration and RESCAP
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2002 09:38:49 -0500
Sender: sipping-admin@ietf.org

Without focusing on the solution space, I think Richard's point is really we can look in other areas (outside SIP / SIPPING) for examples of problems similar in *organizational* form to the ones we need to crack regarding SIP device requirements and auto-config.  In particular, see point 4 of the RESCAP charter, which reads in part:

  (4) Existing protocols will be profiled for use as part of this service
  whenever possible rather than developing new protocols. ...

The similarity is SIP device requirements and auto-config work will necessarily involve not just SIP/SIPPING (i.e. not contained cleanly within a particular WG), and will likely require us to say, in effect, of the gazillion ways to do X (implement a SIP interaction, configure a device element, whatever), do at least this one.  Most of the technologies we need already exist and are well understood, they just need to be written down in a very concise form.

RESCAP may or may not fly (not familiar with it myself), but we should be aware that such classes of problems do exist in the real world, and are in fact critically important to solve.  If IETF has organisational issues to solve to make this possible, then we need to solve those.  In the case of SIP device requirements and auto-config, work is required to enable large scale deployment of SIP-based end user devices.   The problem is very real, and IETF is the best place to solve it.

My 0.02, flame-proof suit on,

Peter Blatherwick