RE: [Sipping] Service Identification in SIP

"Henry Sinnreich" <hsinnrei@adobe.com> Fri, 16 February 2007 02:05 UTC

Subject: RE: [Sipping] Service Identification in SIP
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2007 18:03:34 -0800
From: Henry Sinnreich <hsinnrei@adobe.com>
To: Andrew Allen <aallen@rim.com>, Paul Kyzivat <pkyzivat@cisco.com>, "Salvatore Loreto (JO/LMF)" <salvatore.loreto@ericsson.com>
Cc: ravishankar.shiroor@wipro.com, sipping@ietf.org, Gonzalo.Camarillo@ericsson.com, mary.barnes@nortel.com

Andrew,

It is interesting to note that there is similar thinking going on in
other WGs, see for example:

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-fairhurst-dccp-serv-codes-02.t
xt

and

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-andreasen-sipping-rfc3603bis-0
2.txt

Along with your correct observation:

> with an increasing number of competing service providers in the market

 One has to wonder about the scalability and complexity all levels of
defining so many services for so many providers, not only for SIP but
also in the transport area.

Coming back to scalability, even plain services could have promotions,
coupons "free video for frequent flyers", etc. that interestingly enough
may not be a good idea to trumpet to the competition or get the
agreement first from the competition. Perish the thought...

It is also correct that

> this argument will be settled by market competition and is not really
> the role of engineering to settle.

Internet engineers may however share the discomfort that service
identification facilitates the following on the Internet:

- Possible discrimination of unwanted services by the competition,
- Restricting the freedom of development for edge devices and apps,
- Charging for the two above, to top it off.

Thanks again to all for the thoughtful contributions to this discussion.

Henry