AW: [Sipping] Comments on draft-hilt-sipping-overload-00.txt

"Ruppelt, Christian" <christian.ruppelt@siemens.com> Tue, 31 October 2006 15:23 UTC

Subject: AW: [Sipping] Comments on draft-hilt-sipping-overload-00.txt
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2006 16:22:43 +0100
From: "Ruppelt, Christian" <christian.ruppelt@siemens.com>
To: Gonzalo Camarillo <Gonzalo.Camarillo@ericsson.com>, sipping <sipping@ietf.org>
Cc: daryl.malas@level3.com, Volker Hilt <volkerh@bell-labs.com>, rich.terpstra@level3.com, iwidjaja@lucent.com

Hi,
what about an IMS/FMC like architecture where
application servers (Ax) and e.g. MGCF functionality (C) are hidden behind the IMS cloud (B).

A1---\
A2----B--- C
A3---/

IF C enters overload it will only inform B to reduce the load send to C by x%
(although the traffic from Ax is the reason for this).
The traffic from A to B is not affected in case of hop-by-hop approach.
This leads to an increasing call failure rate for traffic from Ax by x% because x% sessions will be rejected by B.
I fully agree that a full path approach would be very complex,
but the load should be reduced were it comes from.

christian