Re: AW: [Sipping] Comments on draft-hilt-sipping-overload-00.txt

Volker Hilt <volkerh@bell-labs.com> Tue, 31 October 2006 16:58 UTC

Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2006 11:58:24 -0500
From: Volker Hilt <volkerh@bell-labs.com>
To: Gonzalo Camarillo <Gonzalo.Camarillo@ericsson.com>
Subject: Re: AW: [Sipping] Comments on draft-hilt-sipping-overload-00.txt
Cc: daryl.malas@level3.com, iwidjaja@lucent.com, rich.terpstra@level3.com, sipping <sipping@ietf.org>

Christian, Gonzalo,

> yes, the draft should talk about overload state that needs to be
> propagated upstream in cases like the one you describe.

Yes, this case probably needs more attention in the draft.

>> what about an IMS/FMC like architecture where
>> application servers (Ax) and e.g. MGCF functionality (C) are hidden
>> behind the IMS cloud (B).
>>
>> A1---\
>> A2----B--- C
>> A3---/
>> IF C enters overload it will only inform B to reduce the load send to
>> C by x% (although the traffic from Ax is the reason for this).

Yes. It is up to B to decide what to do. If B knows that it is in a
controlled environment and C is its *only* downstream neighbor, B can
use hop-by-hop overload control to indicate overload to its upstream
neighbors if C is overloaded. Essentially B can consider C as a message
processing resource in this scenario. If this resource is overloaded B
signals overload to its upstream neighbor.

If B has other downstream neighbors or is in an open environment where
it can potentially communicate with many downstream entities, it might
be better of rejecting the x% of the requests it would normally forward
to C. It should not indicate overload to its upstream neighbors since
can still serve other destinations.

>> The traffic from A to B is not affected in case of hop-by-hop approach.
>> This leads to an increasing call failure rate for traffic from Ax by
>> x% because x% sessions will be rejected by B.

Even if B rejects these session, Ax may still have an alternative target
to which it can route these requests. If Ax does not have such a target,
then it would have to reject these requests anyway.

The only overhead introduced by hop-by-hop overload control is that some
requests to C are not directly rejected by Ax and go through the detour
of B.

>> I fully agree that a full path approach would be very complex,
>> but the load should be reduced were it comes from.

Yes, I agree. I think one of the key points is to avoid a congestion
collapse. In addition, it is important to find a good tradeoff between
complexity and the most optimal solution we can achieve.

Cheers,

Volker