AW: [Sipping] A Framework for Reducing Spam for Internet Telephony

"Tschofenig, Hannes" <hannes.tschofenig@nsn.com> Sat, 16 June 2007 14:07 UTC

Subject: AW: [Sipping] A Framework for Reducing Spam for Internet Telephony
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2007 21:51:45 +0200
From: "Tschofenig, Hannes" <hannes.tschofenig@nsn.com>
To: Saverio Niccolini <Saverio.Niccolini@netlab.nec.de>, Hannes Tschofenig <Hannes.Tschofenig@gmx.net>, SIPPING LIST <sipping@ietf.org>

Hi Saverio,

There are quite a number of solutions proposals floating around.
We tried to avoid too many references but some more would not hurt. What do you think is particularly interesting to mention in the context of the framework?

One of the main ideas for writing the framework document was to identify the minimum functionality you need to standardize
now. Other things can be done in the future -- potentially never.

> Moreover, our SPIT prevention framework (you can find
> references of it in proceedings of Globecom 2006) uses
> already some of the authorization policies you are describing
> also in the other draft (http://fon.gs/spit-requirements), namely:
> -- we have built white/black list based on identities (or
> part of it), this matches Req-C 1 and Req-C 2
> -- we block certain messages based on the spam-level marking,
> this supports Req-C 7
> -- we mark the messages with a certain spam-level and forward
> this to the caller, this supports Req-A 2
> -- we use some kind of Turing Tests built in answering
> machines, this supports Req-A 4
> -- we also run anomaly detection methods able to mark the
> calls and make this available for other entities, this
> supports Req-T 1

So, it seems that you think that many of the requirements are in fact reasonable.

Have you spotted missing functionality or functionality you wouldn't provide immediately (or not at all)?

> I think all in all these two drafts you recently wrote
> complement well the SPITSTOP work we are currently discussing
> in the SPITSTOP mailing list, it is just a pity that they are
> coming too late to support the BOF request that was just rejected.

We have been trying hard to get the documents finished but that was the best we were able todo.
In fact, we wanted to write the document already a year ago when I went out for dinner with Henning Schulzrinne, Jonathan Rosenberg, Dan York and David Schwartz.

Btw, I was actually hoping that we don't really need a BOF to get this work started. We don't schedule BOFs for every tiny document we write.

> I hope we can sit together in Chicago at the BAR BOF and
> discuss the way to move the all work on SPIT forward in the IETF.
I hope so too.

Ciao
Hannes