Re: [Sipping] A call for simplicity: Was I-DAction:draft-ietf-sipping-cc-transfer-12.txt

"Mary Barnes" <mary.barnes@nortel.com> Tue, 03 March 2009 18:27 UTC

Date: Tue, 03 Mar 2009 12:30:22 -0600
From: Mary Barnes <mary.barnes@nortel.com>
To: Dean Willis <dean.willis@softarmor.com>, sipping LIST <sipping@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [Sipping] A call for simplicity: Was I-DAction:draft-ietf-sipping-cc-transfer-12.txt

Yeah, this has been a while, BUT there were delays in getting some of
the updates done and confusion (on both sides as I recall) as to who had
the editor's token for a while.

But, these updates as I understand are based on IESG feedback, so the
doc is out of the WG and has been for over a year - it's no longer being
targetted for meeting (or ML for that matter) discussion.  You can look
at the stats here as far as how long it did sit in the WG (and how long
it's been out of the WG):
http://www.arkko.com/tools/lifecycle/draft-ietf-sipping-cc-transfer-timi
ng.html

And, I think we actually have worse examples and some currently
chartered items are also only getting updated just before meetings, so
yes there is a problem in SIPPING with getting work done efficiently,
but I personally believe the primary issue is limited resources and the
fact that folks just would prefer to work on shiny new things than
rewrite sentences, fix commas, clarify and beef up security sections,
etc. in their documents.

And, I do think your mega discussion is more appropriate for RAI
restructuring than on SIPPING. I think we have improved the expediency
of processing WG documents over the past few years and one of the
problems in the past was just too many active, chartered WG items at one
time, which I think is one of the main points for the RAI restructuring.

Mary.