Re: [Sipping] A new draft on P2P SIP

Philip Matthews <matthews@nimcatnetworks.com> Wed, 16 February 2005 20:18 UTC

Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2005 13:25:30 -0500
From: Philip Matthews <matthews@nimcatnetworks.com>
To: Arjun Roychowdhury <arjunrc@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Sipping] A new draft on P2P SIP
Cc: sipping@ietf.org
Sender: sipping-bounces@ietf.org

Hi Arjun:

Thanks for your comments.

I agree that our draft is a mixture of requirements
and high-level architecture. Initially, our goal was
to write a draft that called attention to a class of
applications in which P2P SIP has equal functionality
to existing telephony networks. Our impression is that
most of the discussion (in drafts and on the mailing list)
has revolved around what we called "ad-hoc" networks
in the draft.We used the term "industrial-strength" to
differentiate us. It was *not* our intention to disparage
anyone else's work. However, as you point out, its use
can be misconstrued, and it was perhaps not the best choice.

In the interest of keeping our draft focused and short,
we only mentioned features that had not been discussed
by others. We then decided to add the section on high-level
architecture because, in our experience, keeping the
P2P and SIP layers separate is very beneficial.

We totally agree with you that there needs to be more
discussion of the requirements for P2P SIP. It is our hope
to have a first cut of a requirements document out in the
next few weeks to help this process along.

You are right that our draft only concentrates on telephony
features. It is the application that we understand. However,
it seems like you have other applications of P2P SIP in mind.
I can only think of instant messaging.
What do you envision?

- Philip