Re: AW: [Sipping] FYI: RADIUS & SIP

Michael Haberler <mah@eunet.at> Wed, 30 July 2003 16:58 UTC

Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2003 18:55:02 +0200
To: Jonathan Rosenberg <jdrosen@dynamicsoft.com>, Bernard Aboba <aboba@internaut.com>
From: Michael Haberler <mah@eunet.at>
Subject: Re: AW: [Sipping] FYI: RADIUS & SIP
Cc: "Liess, Laura" <Laura.Liess@t-systems.com>, hgs@cs.columbia.edu, sipping@ietf.org, "Dumler, Alexander" <Alexander.Dumler@telekom.de>, "Wolff, Christian" <Christian.Wolff@telekom.de>
Sender: sipping-admin@ietf.org

authenticating SIP users is very much like authenticating mobile users in
cellular networks, and the solution developed for GSM - subscriber identity
in a smart card - is IMV somthing we would be well advised to carry over to
SIP space.

The utility of SIM cards has been recognized for Internet-side
authentication like EAP-SIM based WLAN roaming, in particular as there is
an existing billing an authentication machinery which one can plug into
from the Internet side. However, SIM cards could also be used in a strictly
Internet-only service provider context as well.  Plus, SIM-based
authentication could be used as a bootstrap mechanism for X.509 certficate
distribution and therefore for TLS mutual authentication.

There is a draft for SIP authentication with Authentication and Key
Agreement (AKA,
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-torvinen-http-digest-aka-v2-00.txt
and predecessor) which adresses authentication with UMTS SIM (USIM)cards.
These have superior security properties compared to plain SIM cards.
However, HTTP AKA cannot negotiate down to plain SIM authentication, and
very few operators use USIM cards, so if we wait for USIM cards to be
ubiquitious we might wait very long.

Therefore, there is more pressing need for authentication with plain GSM
SIM cards (about 900 million cards out there!), and there is currently no
standard way of using those at the SIP level - although at  the WLAN level,
this has been adressed by EAP/SIM which gets around some of the weaknessess
of plain SIM authentication. However, the HTTP EAP Digest draft apparently
fell through, so we cannot combine HTTP EAP and EAP/SIM.

So the area of work I see a need for is retrofitting EAP/SIM authentication
flows into Digest authentication to create a strong interoperable HTTP SIM
authentication method, and appropriate RADIUS support to back it up. Also,
the RADIUS support behind HTTP AKA needs fleshing out.

my vision is to have both WLAN/LAN access and SIP authenticated through the
same SIM card. I see quite a market potential for such a feature set.

-Michael Haberler