Re: [Sipping] RUCUS / framework-spit-reduction-02

Paul Kyzivat <pkyzivat@cisco.com> Sun, 10 February 2008 20:38 UTC

Date: Sun, 10 Feb 2008 15:39:31 -0500
From: Paul Kyzivat <pkyzivat@cisco.com>
To: Otmar Lendl <lendl@nic.at>
Cc: sipping@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [Sipping] RUCUS / framework-spit-reduction-02
Sender: sipping-bounces@ietf.org

Interesting discussion. I think this is homing in on the right problem -
how to make it possible, in a practical sense, for sip to replace the pstn.

I see a big problem with the approach of only doing sip peering with
friends and deferring the rest to the pstn: it only works for voice, and
to a limited extent IM. One of the value propositions for SIP is that it
supports other media, and other features that require signaling that
won't make it through a pstn link. So we have to wait for full mesh to
get that?

	Thanks,
	Paul